The End of my Addiction

Gabapentin

BigSyd

Hi BigSyd,

What sort of advice are you seeking about Gaba? I use it in combo with Baclofen. The Gaba has some effect on anxiety, and some on alcohol craving. I've found that the baclofen is much more effective for alcohol cravings. Now I take the Gaba to help with nerve pain I have that is a SE for me for the Baclofen. 

There are a few people on here who have tried Gaba alone, and some who use it in combo with Baclofen, so pose some specific questions and people will chime in.

Welcome!

• Like 1

Hi @BigSyd. My GP is also an advocate for Gabapentin. She has seen success with her patients in craving reduction.  She added it to Baclofen regime.  However at that time I was pretty high up in mg of Baclofen so it was too sedating for me.  

Give it a try!  Many here have combined it with Baclofen.  If you search for Gabapentin on this site you will find a lot of posts.

Some good feedback here as well:. https://www.drugs.com/comments/gabapentin/for-alcohol-withdrawal.html

@Ne1 Maybe we should add Gabapentin to the medicqtion section of the forum?

• Like 2

@BigSyd welcome from me.

I tried adding gaba to my baclofen regime, but found it made me sedated, unsteady & did funny things to my eyesight.  However, I now sometimes use it for sleep  as an adjunct to quetiapine.  I try not to, I like to keep the number of drugs I take to a minimum.  Taking quetiapine was a big decision, but my sleep has been so bad for decades that I lost hope of restoring it.

• Like 2

Hi and welcome!

Gabapentin doesn't do much for me one way or the other, at least not that I notice. Maybe it helps a little with sleep, maybe a little with anxiety and alcohol withdrawal. It has done nothing for alcohol cravings. I have taken as much as 3000mg/day some days, nothing or very little the next day, with no noticeable effects.

Some people I have read about say gabapentin is a nightmare and there's withdrawal from it and all kinds of depression and anxiety problems. I have noticed none of this, but my experience is mine alone of course. Right now I am starting baclofen again after a long period of not taking it. Already I am having nerve pain in my legs, which is a relatively rare but super annoying side effect. Like @DunDrinkn, I am taking the gabapentin in the hopes that it helps with the nerve pain.

• Like 1

Hi @BigSyd,

I've been taking baclofen for years, and just recently started supplementing that with gabapentin (400 mgs/night). It seems to help me sleep through the night a little better, but I don't notice much else from taking it. 

As other posters have mentioned above, most people take it in combination with other anti-craving drugs.

It does carry some risk of dependence, and some people report getting "high" from it.

Welcome to the forum! Hope you stick around and share your experiences with us.

• Like 2