The End of my Addiction

Feeling anxious with Baclofen

poppypima

I hope it's alright to post on behalf of my better half?  I would be grateful for feedback from anyone who has experience of using Baclofen to eliminate alcohol cravings and anxiety.

My boyfriend Jim (age 54) has been AF for almost a month now after having been an alcoholic for around 30 years and drinking 1 1/2 -2 bottles spirits per day in the past 5 months.  Jim had been sober for the previous 18 months without help but went back to alcohol because the build-up of anxiety had become unbearable.

I read an old article about Dr Ameisen in the Guardian online after googling "cure for alcoholism" in desperation to find something to help him get sober, and after showing him the article and reading his book we went to his GP to discuss it.  She was only prepared to prescribe 30mg Baclofen per day with the proviso that Jim do a week long detox at home with Librium first, but suggested that he buy more Baclofen online if he was determined to follow Dr Ameisen's example. 

After the week-long detox, Jim went straight on to 20mg Baclofen per day for 3 days.  To begin with he was relaxed and almost on a high and it seemed that if this was the effect of Bac at such a low dose then the whole regimen would be a breeze - however we think that this might have been the result of the Librium left in his system combined with the Bac as this effect soon wore off and each time he titrates up by 10mg (every 3 days to begin with) he feels wired and anxious with strong cravings.  He has not had any somnolence and is generally able to sleep fine at night but yesterday he went from 60mg (which he had been on for over a week) to 80mg and this morning felt too anxious to deal with anything, also had strong cravings to drink to quell the anxiety.  This isn't how we expected Baclofen to work - Dr Ameisen's book describes him taking an extra 20mg to help him relax,  so could it be that this drug has the opposite effect on some people?  

My question is: if he continues to increase the dose until he (hopefully) reaches indifference to alcohol, will he also be rid of this anxiety?  I can't see him ever being happy to be sober if not.

Hi poppypima, & welcome on behalf of your OH!

I've not heard of anxiety as a side effect of baclofen - I certainly didn't have it, if anything my anxiety has reduced as a result of taking bac.  Not everyone finds this, but I don't think anyone on the forum so far has reported an increase in anxiety.  Also the increase in cravings each time the dose is increased is odd.  Again many find that their cravings don't go away until they reach indifference but I've not heard of an actual increase in cravings.

Sorry I can't be of help,but hang in there, someone else will be along shortly I expect - I will say that everyone has a slightly different experience with bac.

• Like 3

Jim's cravings get worse with the increase in anxiety when he ups the dose for a day or two but then go back to normal until the next titration upwards.

• Like 1

Hello @poppypima and welcome.  I haven't heard of Baclofen causing those side effects.  Maybe our resident SE expert @terryk can weigh in.  I think the strong anxiety Jim is feeling could be due to stopping the Librium (and the alcohol).  Anxiety is why many of us drink in the first place.  It's certainly why I did.  I would recommend continuing to titrate up on the Bac, but you might want to touch base with his GP in terms of the anxiety?  I was drinking 24/7, 40 units a day before Baclofen.  It saved my life.  I do use natural alternatives like l-theanine and Passion flower for anxiety.  Good luck to you both!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, poppypima said:

Jim's cravings get worse with the increase in anxiety when he ups the dose for a day or two but then go back to normal until the next titration upwards.

Well, that sounds suspiciously like it may be the Baclofen.  Maybe try the supplements I mentioned above?

• Like 1

Hi @poppypima,

I have heard of people for whom Baclofen has had that effect. The good news, from the way you describe it, is that that anxiety appears to dissipate once he adjusts to the dose. Others on here ( @Jetsman32, sorry, I keep calling you out!) have had experiences too in which they have not had the anti-anxiety effects, but still found relief with baclofen. My suggestion would be to keep slowly titrating upwards, but stop for periods long enough to allow the anxiety to dissipate. @Mom2JTx3 mentioned l-theanine and passion flower as anti-anxiety aids. I also use those, as well as propranolol for severe anxiety. (His doctor might be willing to prescribe that prn, as it is commonly prescribed for anxiety.) I have found that small doses of propranolol stop my anxiety in its tracks with almost no side effects.

I'm glad that Jim's doctor is game for him ordering online. Too many doctors take the stance that if they won't prescribe, the patient should not take the medicine period. 

Please stick around and keep us posted on his progress! :hug:

• Like 2

Thanks @Felina 

It may be that he just perceives his anxiety as worse when he takes a higher dose because he is expecting it to give relief which doesn't happen. He will keep going steadily upwards in dose and hope that no really nasty side effects occur.  I will look into the other drugs/supplements you mention.

:)

• Like 3

Hi poppy! Welcome to the forum. 

I have increased anxiety when I increase doses, depending on the dose. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I think the suggestions you've received are the ones that I would make, too. Anti-anxiety meds or supplements. Splitting up his doses into smaller ones. Staying at one level until comfortable before increasing. 

Has he tried any of those? How is he doing? 

• Like 1

Hi Ne1,

Jim is increasing very slowly to avoid side effects. He is now on 110mg per day at week 4. He is not experiencing any anxiolytic effect yet and this is making him question whether Baclofen is going to work for him. The anxiety doesn't seem to be worse than before, but it certainly isn't any better.  He suffers with awful anxiety and can't handle even the smallest amount of stress that most people would either brush off or deal with. This makes life a trial for him and alcohol was the only thing that made it bearable. He enjoyed drinking and says he would have happily drunk himself into an early grave if it wasn't for his children.  He is not a believer in alternative medicine so I don't think he would be willing to try any natural supplements but if we can persuade the doc to prescribe a non-addictive anxiolytic, I think that might help. But I don't know what to ask for- which ones don't make you sleepy or suppress your libido? Does such a drug exist? I imagine that Jim being an addict, the doc would be reluctant to prescribe anything other than Prozac which doesn't work- none of the anti -depressants stopped him being anxious even at the maximum dose.

• Like 1

I can relate, even though I didn't know I had anxiety before I started taking baclofen and it eventually relieved me of it. And I hated drinking. 

It's too bad he wouldn't be open to a supplement. Lots of people find those help. 

110mg and 4 weeks may be too early to know. It took me 4 months and considerably more baclofen than that. Also, it's long been passed around that something happens around 140mg. That's when I first noticed a cessation in my anxiety and my drinking. It was over Thanksgiving, and we were hosting. My dad pulled me aside to tell me that he was really proud of me because I was so calm and put together. I think he said something disparaging, like I wasn't acting like a drama queen or something. 

Propranolol is a blood pressure medication that, taken in small doses can help alleviate anxiety. I have low blood pressure, so I take small amounts of propranolol. It's very effective for the physical manifestations of anxiety--heart racing, cold, clammy nervousness. That's how it works for me, anyway. 

Gabapentin (Neurontin) is a medication used for quite a variety of interesting things that also isn't addictive and is being tested and used to treat both anxiety and alcohol use disorders. Gabapentin made me very stoned at first, so I had to take it in small doses, and titrate up. It no longer has that SE, though, so I can take it as an anxiolytic.

• Like 1

And no, I don't think there's a perfect drug out there. If there was, undoubtedly we would have found it by now. (Also, reminds me of the Huey Lewis song, which is embarrassing and also dates me.) :) 

• Like 1

@poppypima

Hello and welcome to the Forum

Sorry but I firstly need some clarification that your GP, prescribed you 30 mg of Baclofen per day and suggested that you self medicated the rest off of the internet?

4 hours ago, poppypima said:

if we can persuade the doc to prescribe a non-addictive anxiolytic, I think that might help.

1 hour ago, Ne1 said:

110mg and 4 weeks may be too early to know. It took me 4 months and considerably more baclofen than that. Also, it's long been passed around that something happens around 140mg. That's when I first noticed a cessation in my anxiety and my drinking.

Yes - I agree with @Ne1 - Without wishing to be slammed by the "tell them to take more Baclofen brigade", in my experience this will not be a sufficient amount of Baclofen to be able to benefit from (what I perceive as) its anti anxiety properties - FYI, I would have expected Baclofen to have shown *some* anxiolytic reaction by now but we are all different (I suppose)

From what I can remember I found my anxieties diminished @ 180 mg and returning @ 120 mg, so I settled @ 150 mg where I currently sit

What are your boyfriends typical daily dosage timings? 

1 hour ago, Ne1 said:

My dad pulled me aside to tell me that he was really proud of me because I was so calm and put together. I think he said something disparaging, like I wasn't acting like a drama queen or something. 

Another quote for Bacman's "Quality Quote File"

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

@Ne1 thanks for the info on Propranolol and Gabapentin - really useful.  Jim wants to stick with just the Baclofen and see if the higher dose does the trick for general anxiety, but maybe in very stressful situations Propranolol may be a good idea (public speaking etc).

@Baclofenman thanks for your reply. Jim's GP prescribed him 1 packet of Baclofen (87 tablets I think) and told him to take 2 per day for a week and come back to see how he was getting on.  After a week he went back and said he was going to follow Dr Ameisen's advice, so she said she wasn't comfortable prescribing off licence but if he wanted to then he could obtain it from the internet and she would be happy to see him for check ups.  He takes his pills 3 times a day from when he wakes up with about 5 hours in between each dose, although up until a couple of days ago he was taking them 7-8 hours apart so maybe wasn't getting as much benefit as he went to sleep shortly after the last dose of the day.

• Like 1

Let us know how he gets on, poppy. 

It's always really hard to offer suggestions and advice to someone through an intermediary (no offense, and I understand why). One of the benefits of these kinds of forums (and self-help groups in general) is that a person can communicate directly with others about what their experience is. That said, my husband would never participate in this kind of thing, and I would definitely advocate for him where the suggestions might help. 

It's also really hard to get sober for other people. Again, I understand the motivation and admire his commitment, but I couldn't go to the lengths I needed to until I was so tired and overwhelmed I didn't see any other options but to stop drinking at all costs. (Hate to sound unsupportive. That's not my intent. This is just my experience. If I still loved to drink, well I do, so I continue to drink.) 

The other things that relieve anxiety, all of which I was doing just before or just after I got sober, are holistic approaches. Exercise, for sure. Having positive goals for the future. Meditation. And eventually therapy with a therapist I really liked. Wouldn't have kept me sober, or contented, without baclofen, but it helped much more than I could see even at the time. 

I hope that he finds that magic place, the one I found over Thanksgiving that year when my sister-in-law put her dog on our patio table and let it walk around harassing the other guests, FROM THE TOP OF THE TABLE, and I didn't flip my lid. That thing is still a terror and I'm much less copacetic, now. Then again, I can't really blame myself. We all have our (reasonable) limits. :) 

• Like 1

I found some doses (baclofen) would alleviate anxiety and others would increase it. Some doses helped my sleep and some gave me insomnia. Some made me completely uninterested in drinking and some made me drink more. It's a long process, but one that I feel is worthwhile. 

• Like 3

On 09/11/2016 at 6:24 PM, poppypima said:

@Baclofenman thanks for your reply. Jim's GP prescribed him 1 packet of Baclofen (87 tablets I think) and told him to take 2 per day for a week and come back to see how he was getting on.  After a week he went back and said he was going to follow Dr Ameisen's advice, so she said she wasn't comfortable prescribing off licence but if he wanted to then he could obtain it from the internet and she would be happy to see him for check ups.  He takes his pills 3 times a day from when he wakes up with about 5 hours in between each dose, although up until a couple of days ago he was taking them 7-8 hours apart so maybe wasn't getting as much benefit as he went to sleep shortly after the last dose of the day.

I am still confused - Either your GP subscribes to OA's theory of HDB or they do not? - It is an in or out decision as far as I am concerned - Ho hum........ - You may find that the GP might be able to offer "full support" if and when he gains control on his drinking by ways of a prescription?

Combining different generic brands - I assume this is what you are doing? - I assume you get Mylan from the NHS? - Goldpharma do Mylan as well - I am not sure combining different generics is a particularly good idea - @terryk might have an idea on this

Personally, @110 mg, i would be taking this over 4 periods a day and 5 @ 150 mg, certainly during titration - This is my personal preference based on MY understanding of half-life - Other opinions will and do differ

Regards

Bacman

• Like 2

I liked the small doses evenly spaced out, so I was only taking like 25mg or so at a time. Every 2 hours. Pain in the ass to take pills that often, but seemed to work pretty well. Others have tried taking their entire daily dose once in the evening. Not sure it makes that much difference, it's just about what is comfortable for you personally.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Baclofenman said:

Combining different generic brands - I assume this is what you are doing? - I assume you get Mylan from the NHS? - Goldpharma do Mylan as well - I am not sure combining different generics is a particularly good idea - @terryk might have an idea on this

Combining different brands shouldn't be an issue, although because each generic uses their own formula of binders and fillers to hold the medication together in a pill, sometimes some people find that they have a sensitivity to certain brands.

The only advice I would offer is to introduce the new brand gradually, and if you are switching entirely from one brand to another to do it like this: Week 1: 100% Brand A, Week 2: 75% Brand A + 25% Brand B, Week 3: 50% Brand A + 50% Brand B, Week 4: 25% Brand A + 75% Brand B, Week 5: 100% Brand B

-tk

• Like 5

@StuckinLA -interesting about taking smaller doses more often.  I will suggest he tries that.  He has now switched entirely to the new brand (Vioridon from Goldpharma) - he did introduce it gradually but not over 5 weeks as suggested by @terryk as by the time they arrived he only had about 2 weeks worth of the GP prescribed brand left. The side effects have been mild I suppose (so far). Since upping the dose to 120mg 2 nights ago he has experienced new SEs  which seem to be worse at night- slight tremors in his body and a drained feeling like his limbs are so heavy it's a real effort to move, brain fog/difficulty finding his words and stringing them into a sentence sometimes, a strange feeling in his body- like he is about to shiver, and the latest and oddest is his vision is affected late at night by a vivid psychedelic flashing light show!  Luckily none of this is stopping him from sleeping.

@Baclofenman Jim is sober (that was the prerequisite of the GP) but wants to use Bac to help prevent his anxiety and cravings and stay sober.  She only prescribed one packet of Bac to be taken at 30mg per day because we had argued the case strongly with her and sent her the OA interview from the Guardian, but she would only prescribe this once he had done a de-tox, saying she wouldn't feel comfortable prescribing more than that but if Jim was determined then he could order it himself online. So Jim did the de-tox, got one packet of Bac prescribed and started at 20mg then 30mg/40mg/50mg/60mg and when he went back after 10 days and told her he was already taking twice the dose she had prescribed she wished him good luck and said she would be happy to see him again when he needed her (but not to prescribe Bac).  He is going it alone but thankfully this website is here and people who have gone through this are happy to give guidance which is much appreciated. :)

• Like 4

I use one of the generics from Goldpharma, only ever had a few side effects (some are debilitating, so, you know).

As for the taking pills more frequently, look up @bleep and his thread on My Way Out (I know, we're not supposed to talk about other websites anymore). You're looking for his posts from around 2012 or 2013, if I remember right. he talked a lot about his dosing schedule. He's done pills every 2 hours, he's also done once a day for his full dose, he's been up to 450mg/day or something around there. 

Again, it's about finding what is comfortable, and for each of us sometimes that's very different and personal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, poppypima said:

@Baclofenman Jim is sober (that was the prerequisite of the GP) but wants to use Bac to help prevent his anxiety and cravings and stay sober.

My NHS prescription is as follows

Baclofen 10mg tablets

5 packs of 84 tablet (s), take 5 tablets 3 times a day (I take 3, 5 times a day) as required for alcohol abstinence 

I am seeing my GP again at the beginning of December, for my 3 monthly review - I will ask her if she will take calls from your GP and that of @Nicnak - My main concern with her doing this was for people at the start of their titration - Jim seems to be doing well and Nicnak is indifferent, so I cannot see the problem with asking?

Regards

Bacman

• Like 3

Thanks @Baclofenman, as you say, it can't hurt to ask. Jim thinks his GP is closed to prescribing any more than 30mg per day. We tried as hard as we could to convince her but she won't even consider it so I don't think she would be open to or could be persuaded to call another GP about it.  Jim will broach the subject next time he sees her. He's slowing the titration rate and spacing the pills out and that seems to be going well. 

Best wishes

poppypima

• Like 2

@poppypima, take the script from the gp, it will save you a ton of money. Trust me. Then order from goldpharma if you want. I've used them exclusively and they've never let me down. This is not advice, I am not a doctor (well, I am actually a doctor, but not the medical kind). Do what you think is best - my experience is that goldpharma has been great and I have taken pills from them for years.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2016 at 6:45 AM, Ne1 said:

The other things that relieve anxiety, all of which I was doing just before or just after I got sober, are holistic approaches. Exercise, for sure

@poppypima I'm new to all of this. And I'm taking a different medication (Naltrexone). Side-effects are pretty rare on Nal... but I suffered dearly. The darkness was so heavy. I realized that I hadn't been exercising much (I normally do quite a bit). Within a few days of ramping-up the exercise (to, say... 8-12hrs/wk), I felt SOOOOO much better. I spent the last few days entertaining a friend from out-of-country, not exercising. The side effects are returning. So, anyway, I'm planning on working-in two hours, tomorrow. Exercise helps me TREMENDOUSLY. Fresh air and sunlight likely help, too. Vitamin-D deficiency has been linked to anxiety and depression (we naturally get vit-D from the direct contact of sunlight with our skin).

Wishing you and your BF luck.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone and I hope you are managing to enjoy a sober Christmas period?! 

I have been away from the site for a while as we were experiencing bad problems trying to get hold of bac - the goldpharma order went astray and the replacement they sent arrived a month later.  Jim had to ask his gp to prescribe enough for him to stay at his current dose of 120mg until the online order arrived (which she reluctantly did but not without a lecture).  I ended up getting some sent by Sunshine Pharma from Hong Kong but had to do an international bank transfer which somehow went wrong.  Anyway the pills did come and the pharmacy seems reliable. After you have done a bank transfer once, they will accept your Visa payment (didn't say why this is).  Had a problem with the 2nd order as they were supposed to go to Jim's address but they had mixed our addresses together so ended up back at the depot.  

Anyway, Jim now has enough to increase the dose (as I mentioned before he was not getting any relief from 120mg)  so last Sunday he upped the dose to 140mg, then 160mg on Wednesday.  He has experienced many strange physical symptoms such as difficulty concentrating, interrupted sleep patterns, popping noises in his ears, bright flashing lights and shapes in his vision.  These things he can put up with, but mentally he feels he is coming apart at the seams and doesn't know how to hold it together.  He has become quite paranoid and is still craving alcohol badly.  His anxiety is through the roof and he can't deal with anything even slightly stressful.  Last night he said he was thinking about death a lot and how he wouldn't mind being hit by a bus and having things ended for him.  He thinks the Baclofen is making him worse and is seriously thinking of giving it up and asking for anti-depressants instead.

Everyone talks about how this drug has worked miracles for them and how they had to put up with minor side-effects like constipation and dizziness, but is there anyone who can talk him through this and will it eventually work for him?  Are there some people it doesn't work for?

@Baclofenman do you think your GP would talk directly to Jim to reassure/advise him?  I'm at my wits end and fearing for his sanity and sobriety.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and support.

13 minutes ago, poppypima said:

Hi everyone and I hope you are managing to enjoy a sober Christmas period?! 

I have been away from the site for a while as we were experiencing bad problems trying to get hold of bac - the goldpharma order went astray and the replacement they sent arrived a month later.  Jim had to ask his gp to prescribe enough for him to stay at his current dose of 120mg until the online order arrived (which she reluctantly did but not without a lecture).  I ended up getting some sent by Sunshine Pharma from Hong Kong but had to do an international bank transfer which somehow went wrong.  Anyway the pills did come and the pharmacy seems reliable. After you have done a bank transfer once, they will accept your Visa payment (didn't say why this is).  Had a problem with the 2nd order as they were supposed to go to Jim's address but they had mixed our addresses together so ended up back at the depot.  

Anyway, Jim now has enough to increase the dose (as I mentioned before he was not getting any relief from 120mg)  so last Sunday he upped the dose to 140mg, then 160mg on Wednesday.  He has experienced many strange physical symptoms such as difficulty concentrating, interrupted sleep patterns, popping noises in his ears, bright flashing lights and shapes in his vision.  These things he can put up with, but mentally he feels he is coming apart at the seams and doesn't know how to hold it together.  He has become quite paranoid and is still craving alcohol badly.  His anxiety is through the roof and he can't deal with anything even slightly stressful.  Last night he said he was thinking about death a lot and how he wouldn't mind being hit by a bus and having things ended for him.  He thinks the Baclofen is making him worse and is seriously thinking of giving it up and asking for anti-depressants instead.

Everyone talks about how this drug has worked miracles for them and how they had to put up with minor side-effects like constipation and dizziness, but is there anyone who can talk him through this and will it eventually work for him?  Are there some people it doesn't work for?

@Baclofenman do you think your GP would talk directly to Jim to reassure/advise him?  I'm at my wits end and fearing for his sanity and sobriety.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and support.

Hi There

He has increased his dose quite dramatically - 40 mg in 4 days is certainly not in line with the prescription guide - I do not give titration advice as I am not medically qualified, however it would seen logical to retract back to 120 mg a day and effect a slower increased titration of 10 mg every 3 or 4 days as per the schedule after maintaining 120 mg for 3 to 5 days

I take it Jim is not taking any other medications at the moment?

Following my meeting with my GP, I would say she is only prepared to speak to GP's where their patients have reached an abstinent state - Whilst she does not fully understand the Science behind the medication, she is prepared to maintain support following indifference ( @Nicnak you have a Pm or email coming - I have not forgotten)

I remember reading something by Phillip Thomas (Spit) that he experienced Paranoia when he interrupted his medication - IIRC, it had been stolen - I think his Paranoia stabilised once normal intake had been resumed - I am not at my desktop at the moment so when I am next there I will post the report - Whether or not this applies to Jim or not, I do not know if there was a time when he ran out  but taking too much too quickly, can lead to some horrific side effects 

Regards

Bacman

• Like 2

23 hours ago, poppypima said:

Anyway, Jim now has enough to increase the dose (as I mentioned before he was not getting any relief from 120mg)  so last Sunday he upped the dose to 140mg, then 160mg on Wednesday.  He has experienced many strange physical symptoms such as difficulty concentrating, interrupted sleep patterns, popping noises in his ears, bright flashing lights and shapes in his vision.  These things he can put up with, but mentally he feels he is coming apart at the seams and doesn't know how to hold it together.  He has become quite paranoid and is still craving alcohol badly.  His anxiety is through the roof and he can't deal with anything even slightly stressful.  Last night he said he was thinking about death a lot and how he wouldn't mind being hit by a bus and having things ended for him.

That is a pretty aggressive titration schedule. I also will not give advice other than to point you to the prescribing guide. But I do remember the difficulty concentrating and the paranoia and the frequent morbid thoughts. These things can get pretty messy when in the midst of dose changes (up or down) in my own experience. Some doses were more comfortable for me - not necessarily lower doses - than others. 180mg just never felt right to me. But 200-220, if I am remembering correctly, did feel ok. Anyway, finding an all right spot - and staying there for a week or so - sometimes can make all the difference. Sucks that things don't come together all at once, but it's the same with antidepressants, right, which take a few weeks to work their way into your system.

It's bee a few years since I was on bac, hope my memory of how things were is accurate and not leading anyone astray. Hang in there, all my best.

• Like 2

@Baclofenman and @StuckinLA thanks for your replies. 

I haven't been able to see much of Jim over Christmas as we've been busy with our respective children, but the couple of times I have done he seems a bit stabler. He has been on 160mg for over a week now. The flashing lights and tiredness in the evening as well as a feeling of chilled skin on various parts of his body are the main physical symptoms (which he can tolerate). The anxiety and sense of malaise is still there but more manageable, and of course that means the cravings haven't abated yet either. He often wonders if it is worth continuing or whether he's just wasting his time and money on Baclofen. @StuckinLA, can I ask why you gave up bac?

@poppypima: I stopped because of a skin sensitivity/nerve pain that develops in my legs, even at low doses. It makes even sliding under the sheets to get into bed painful, and painful to put on a pair of jeans. That kind of thing. It's not common, but I've run across one or two others who experience a similar SE. I can deal with it for short times, but when I think in a long-term, living the rest of my life kind of way, it's not something I am willing to deal with forever.

Also, there are times when I am able to put together some decent periods of abstinence without bac. A couple weeks or a couple months. Right now I'm almost to 4 weeks. So being able to do that makes me think about just sucking it up and staying sober, and in balance white knuckling ends up being more pleasant than dealing with bac SEs, when I'm able to remain abstinent.

I don't know if that made sense. For me it's just a personal choice. And I realize that many people aren't fortunate enough to have that choice, to be able to just stop drinking for even a day or two. The downside of course is that  I slip up and take a drink I'm screwed.

• Like 1