The End of my Addiction

Meds/solutions for day drinking?

DizzyBee

Hi

I don't know how many of you drink during the day but this has become inevitable for me when I'm on a binge. 

I have such extreme anxiety and fear of withdrawalwhen I wake up that I have a drink, even before work, which made me lose my last job...

I go long periods of not drinking but then usually binge.

Any advice for hangover anxiety?

Thanks,
DB

• Like 1

Hi Dizzy :) 

I responded to you over on MWO but I'm glad to see you here.  You mentioned having a psychotic episode when you tried Baclofen before.  Can you elaborate on that?  What dosage were you on, how soon did it happen?  Baclofen can be helpful for anxiety.

Another thing that's helpful to me is L-theanine. Passion flower is also good.

• Like 3

Hi @DizzyBee. I'm so late to this thread, but man you are telling me my story. I wake up and first thing - first thing is a drink. I have such fear of withdrawal that I try to stay ahead of it, and I am not very good at daytime maintenance drinking.

I am not taking baclofen right now, but I do take a lot of gabapentin (which some people say helps with withdrawal). And sometimes I'll take a bunch of benadryl because it's a pretty strong sedative. Other than that, I go for walks sometimes when I feel up to it. But really I just keep my eye on the clock, figure out when I need to drive, and go by the 1 drink per hour that our bodies process. So a couple shots or a couple beers before work, and then just ride it out. Sucks.

• Like 1

@StuckinLAYeah, I was wondering how you are as I used to follow your posts on the MWO topa thread as I think we have very similar experiences in term of alcohol.  It's a bitch, it truly is. My anxiety re withdrawal is the worst ever.  I'm going to give Nal a go as Bac made me feel mentally ill.

@Mom2JTx3 Sorry for the delay in my reply. I can't really remember much of what dose I was on as it was 5 years ago but I was on it for about two months when I got so scared I quit.  It gave me this week long episode where I couldn't eat, sleep, bathe, drive, or even walk far.  Towards the end I was hearing a demonic voice telling me I was going to die as soon as I fall asleep (I didn't sleep at all) and that I deserved it as I'm a bad person and a drunk.  I saw a psychiatrist who almost admitted me, instead she gave me a week 'trial' with tranquillisers and a promise to stop Bac.  

I was fine after a week and nothing like that has fortunately happened since.  I shudder to think what would have happened if I got stuck in a South African underfunded psychiatric hospital, as they also house criminally convicted patients.  Apparently I'm not the only one to have had this reaction but its fortunately very rare.

DB X

• Like 2

Thanks, @DizzyBee. I followed you on the topa thread, too. Sorry you are having the anxiety these days. Lots of success stories with Nal here. And I wish you the best of luck with it.

So tired of this shit. Midnight, 1am, opening a bottle because I can't sleep. Bloody hell.

• Like 1

I know @StuckinLA, a big part of my anxiety revolves around sleep.  When I taper off and detox, I sometimes don't sleep at all, not even a few minutes, and that makes you feel as bad as a bad hangover the next day.  I absolutely hate being unable to sleep or that booze thing that wakes you up at 3-4 in the morning, with lovely panic and paranoia to boot.  Working while on a binge is a bitch.  I lost my last temp job as I called in sick 3 days in a row and they were on a tight deadline to get files prepared to move office.  I'm a copywriter but am temping at the moment as it allows some time off between assignments.

Im currently taking Antabuse as I had to see a therapist, nurse, and doctor this week.  I also want to get back into yoga as it helps me relax.  I have to do all of this as otherwise my husband is sending me to rehab. ?  I harve to do something as I totally blacked out in a hotel on my birthday, they had to take me back to my room from the executive lounge in a wheelchair and almost called an ambulance! God knows what the hospital would have done.  SOOO embarrassing.  Waiting on the Nal to arrive from River, hopefully next week.

Oh, and thanks @Ne1for explaining the science of drinking, hangovers, and the possible side effects of Bac to me.  You sound like a doctor. ?

• Like 1

Hi DB and belated welcome. Nice to see you here though sorry for the reason  

Glad I could help, though I'm not sure where or what I said! 

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you about the anxiety and sleeplessness. Actually, I take that back. Benzos are the obvious answer for short term use and alcohol withdrawal. Most people aren't comfortable with that though, and for reasonable reasons.  

There are some supplements you can try that are relatively inexpensive, don't have dependence, withdrawal or many side effects. I'm on my phone and suck at typing on this thing, but more info on holistic section. I like melatonin with l-theanine for sleep. My pDoc swears by tryptophan. It's her new go-to. L-theanine for anxiety and lithium orotate, too. (Must have good kidney and/or liver function for the lithium orotate.)

Hang in there and keep fighting the beast, DB. Right there with you. :hug:

• Like 1

Morning, all. 

@DizzyBee & @Ne1.

I swear by Benadryl sometimes. 50mg is the normal first dose for an allergic reaction, but I take 75 or even 100mg and it helps put me out for most of the night. Does make you a bit foggy the next day, but so does drinking. 

• Like 1

Hi @Ne1, there was someone with a similar username on MyWayOut that explained a few things and told me to come here, I just assumed it was you? Sorry if I got it confused.

Thanks for the advice and support. I actually have some unopened melatonin in the house. I haven't used it as I read it was a hormone and was afraid it might interact with my other meds, two ADs, thyroid, and birth control.

im in the UK and I doubt I will ever get my GP to prescribe Benzos, but I do have Seroquel, which can sometimes be a lifesaver.

im still finding my way around here but will probably see you around as you are a 'posting god' ? xx

• Like 2

@StuckinLA Sorry, cross-posted. It is 7pm here ?

I'll try some Benadryl. My previous GP prescribed me Phenergan (promethazine) for anxiety. You should be able to get it over the counter in the US I think. It's also an antihistamine and does help a little. It's listed on Wikipedia in case you want to have a look.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DizzyBee said:

Hi @Ne1, there was someone with a similar username on MyWayOut that explained a few things and told me to come here, I just assumed it was you? Sorry if I got it confused.

No, it was me. I thought you meant something I wrote on here. :) 

So I looked up melatonin and... Well, I'm definitely not a doctor! I have a hard time seeing sporadic use of just about any supplement interfering with pharmaceuticals, although there are some and I studied 'em. Melatonin isn't one that ever came up. HOWEVER...

The following is a reliable list of things that melatonin interacts with. I hesitate to tell you to try it without making sure it doesn't counteract with something you're taking. (The list doesn't have anything on it about thyroid meds, but it does mention ADs, but only in animal studies and only two ADs. It also says that some ADs may significantly reduce natural melatonin levels! <sigh> Do we really know anything?) 

https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement-interaction/possible-interactions-with-melatonin

(That site is actually a pretty good resource and I hope I'll remember to put it in the Holistic Health section here.)

Tryptophan and 5-HTP are off the table, because they do (or can) interact with ADs. 

I took Seroquel, inconsistently, for a while, and was amazed at how much it improved my sleep. I moved on to a nominal dose of a different atypical antipsychotic (Abilify), just for sleep, and gained a whole bunch of weight. :( I know several people take Seroquel without that problem. Wish I'd just stuck with it! 

I dunno, DB. What I do know is that quality sleep is so important in my own life that without it, everything else gets worse. I'm pretty paranoid about it and stick to ridiculously rigid sleep hygiene when I'm going through a bout of insomnia or sleeplessness. I hope you can find a solution. Something your pDoc might help with? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dizzy, 

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time and that I'm making a late reply. I can't offer much advice in staving off morning drinking as I only briefly ever got to that point, but I could give some pointers on sustaining more AF time afterwards based on what you've written:

I'm a copywriter but am temping at the moment as it allows some time off between assignments.

I've been down the temp/contractor road before to enjoy the flexibility and time off between assignments- and drank every minute of that time away. Let's face it- we gravitated to that line of work because it appeared to make drinking managable. And it's not just alcohol/partying that attracts people to temp jobs- I've seen other people fall into that trap thinking that they'll get more time to do art or travel, but with no real sense of pressure the time ticks by unused and the opportunity costs of not working accumulate. I don't know if this completely describes your situation but I definitely think it's a factor that's making it worse. 

Whether you've hit the point of having to stop permanently is a different matter, but you're already onto something that worked for me in getting AF time on an ongoing basis:  

On 12/1/2016 at 4:22 AM, DizzyBee said:

I also want to get back into yoga as it helps me relax.

I love yoga for that reason, but more importantly than helping me relax, it also eats into my drinking schedule and gives me fewer opportunities to goof off and drink. I never managed to drink on a night I had a yoga class because it more or less erased whatever anxiety I had and it also let me see that trashing my liver, sleep and productivity the next day wasn't worth it. Not drinking a couple nights a week to make time for yoga or the gym has expanded into drinking about one night a week and sometimes skipping weeks.

Since February is coming up, your studio may be doing the Winter Warrior challenge which a lot of studios do early in the year to coincide with people's New Year's resolutions. You commit to take x number of classes out of 28 days in the month to reset your habits. When I did it the first time 2 years ago I was amazed that I only managed to have 12 drinks for the entire month of February and had never felt that good for a long time. It was really transformative. 

On 12/1/2016 at 1:58 PM, DizzyBee said:

I haven't used it as I read it was a hormone and was afraid it might interact with my other meds, two ADs, thyroid, and birth control.

What other meds are you on? Multiple medications potentiate each other and psychiatrists have a habit of loosely prescribing extremely potent cocktails trying to cover up side effects or shortfalls of individual drugs. Also remember that some of the same enzymes in your liver that break down alcohol are needed to break these medications down. If you binge, your liver enzymes will go into a traffic jam and will allow medications to accumulate to high concentrations in your body while it processes the alcohol. I remember feeling totally psychotic (on the verge of being ripped out of my body and brutally killed) when hungover and taking abilify, and it was probably for that reason. 

There are varying opinions on medications here (I'm against them), but it's generally agreed that they don't mix well with alcohol. 

• Like 1

Hi Fredson

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.  You are right, having a permanent job will reduce drinking a lot.  I'm actually on a 3 month AF term at the moment, after which time my GP will consider Naltrexone. I watched the 'One little pill' documentary on Amazon Prime and am quite fascinated.

I'm currently doing freelance writing from home until I can find a temp/perm job.  I find it's not that easy to find a job these days, a lot of the recruiters just focus on writers that have just finished varsity :(

I do love yoga and like pilates even more as I'm still quite unfit at the moment.  Oh, and I hate downward dog so much :)  I'll keep it up though.

I take Seroquel, which I think contributes to the shaky feeling I get in the morning.  It does however really help me sleep so I'm unsure whether I'd like to quit it.  Other than that I have Citalopram and a thyroid med.

Hugs.

DB

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I somehow missed the last bit of this thread until now.

@DizzyBee I also take Seroquel for sleep - only 25 mg, I would rather not take it but haven't found anything that works as well - tried various sedative anti-histamines like Nytol which you can buy OTC in the UK, bought trazodone online after reading about it on here (it gave me tinnitus) & have tried 5-HTP & L-tryptophan, both of which help me wind down in the evening but on their own do not help me sleep.  Have also tried gabapentin which causes daytime somnolence but on its own does not give a full night's sleep.  

The search continues!  I envy people who find that sleep returns once they stop drinking - it's not done so for me.  I can manage with about 6 hours in the summer months but find it hard to be awake at 4 am when it's dark & cold.