The End of my Addiction
Alcofree

Please please help me

Alcofree
On 12/1/2016 at 6:27 AM, Baclofenman said:

Fortunately this is not correct - However there are multi factors involved in persuading your GP to support you

I would not expect any GP to support you (His first Baclofen patient) from scratch - This is for the reasons I highlighted earlier

It is a long term effort and In my opinion it involves nurturing the GP and convincing them you understand the benefits and theory behind the medication (how it works) along with the complexities and ramifications of its use (side effects/titration and the importance of running out) - You HAVE to know your subject matter - "Someone on the internet said it was great" will not install confidence

Spend some time reading the stuff here;

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/forum/77-research/

Initially you need to "suss out" your GP's attitude to Baclofen - They will probably say they have never heard of its usage with alcohol, and start the ball rolling from there - Tell them you will email them some clinical trial information - What can they say? - Either "Yes do so and I will have a look" or "Sod off and find a new GP" - In a way each is positive, you have either got them interested and on side or you know you need to find another GP, preferably one with a addiction bent

I would ask them to weigh you and get a liver function test - This way you have records to show your current situation which hopefully will improve when you reach indifference, which should be the time you would expect them to offer support by means of a prescription

I am due to see my GP in the next couple of weeks at which time I am going to ask her to speak to @Nicnak GP as she has now reached indifference as a result of self medication - Unfortunately Nicnak's GP is not as progressive as mine, I fear, but they do know she is self medicating

To answer a question you posed before - My maintenance dose is 150 mg a day, 30 mg, 5 times a day - 08.00/11.00/14.00/17.00/20.00 - There is a conflict of opinion of how many times a day one should split your doses but this works for me, based on my understanding of half life

Regarding On-Line purchasing, I think all of those mentioned are fairly reliable - I have used mydrugsbasket and River on more than one occasion, both supplied Zaclofen, River will send you a paypal payment request - Zaclofen gave me constipation, I now use Mylan which gave Nicnak constipation so it a bit like Statins, you may need to try a few different genetics to get the one which gives you the least side effects - There is information in the link above of the sensible way to transfer from one generic to another

Regards

Bacman

Hello and thank you very much for your help and support! The link wouldn't open, for some reason. You are absolutely right- I need to persuade my GP to prescribe me Baclofen. I tried to do so about three years ago, but I didn't have much info at the time. I have much more info now. I have started taking it at 10mg per day: 5mg in the morning and 5mg in the afternoon. Waiting for my 100 tablets to arrive at the moment. I basically want to go see my GP with a lot of info and say that I have been self-medicating and cannot afford getting more online, but at the same time cannot afford to run out. See what happens. I am wishing you you best of luck when you see your GP next time. Please let me know how it goes. Kindest regards. 

• Like 3

Baclofenman
2 hours ago, Alcofree said:

Hello and thank you very much for your help and support! The link wouldn't open, for some reason. You are absolutely right- I need to persuade my GP to prescribe me Baclofen. I tried to do so about three years ago, but I didn't have much info at the time. I have much more info now. I have started taking it at 10mg per day: 5mg in the morning and 5mg in the afternoon. Waiting for my 100 tablets to arrive at the moment. I basically want to go see my GP with a lot of info and say that I have been self-medicating and cannot afford getting more online, but at the same time cannot afford to run out. See what happens. I am wishing you you best of luck when you see your GP next time. Please let me know how it goes. Kindest regards. 

You need to click on the link, or preferably right click and open in a new tab (the text in italics) http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/forum/77-research/

I think the GP will be easier about supporting you ONCE you have reached an indifferent state (IE at a maintenance dose) - That said, if you list things that have improved since taking Baclofen (drinking has reduced/anxiety reduced/better wellbeing etc) you may be in busines

100 tablets is not a lot to be honest, by the time you are at 50 mg, that is 20 in 4 days - I am sure you appreciate the situation but I must reiterate it is not a good idea to run out once you have started - As I have mentioned before I am happy to post Baclofen within the UK to anyone who may find themselves in that position

Thank you for you kind words - My GP is a ledge

Actually, I wonder what a GP would do if you turned up at their door on a Baclofen programme but unable to afford the medicine - I would hope they would realise you cannot just stop..... @Molly78?

Regards

Bacman

• Like 2

BarrelChested

So... Baclofen for alcohol problems...?  Forgive my ignorance. I SCANNED the other postings but wasn't able to immediately suss out what I wanted to know. In short, what's the long-term plan with Balofen? Is this something you (pl) expect to take for many years... for the rest of your lives... or something in-between? I gather (from this forum) that it's not a critical care sort of thing.

The Naltrexone.... well, I don't know what I think about it. On Monday/Tuesday, I drank a fifth of vodka. I think that's when it was. I had a sudden, irrational desire to just blot-out life. The following day, I thought that my expensive little sports car had turned-into a wad of useless metal (it stranded me on the way to work). I was disgusted by the experience and didn't feel like posting it. It wasn't my best day (nor was it the worst). Anyway, I haven't had the desire to drink, since. I've just returned from a holiday party. I drank coffee (decent coffee, too boot).

I wonder how much of my indifference is attributable to Naltrexone and how much is a byproduct of getting several nights of good sleep.

I ask about the Baclofen because, well, I wonder whether Nal alone will be effective. That I could easily drink a bottle of vodka (while taking the Nal)... well, it concerns me. To be fair, I kinda finished the bottle (day two -- following the car debacle) just because it was there. I cannot count how many times I've told myself the lie that I'm just drinking it, now, so I won't be tempted tomorrow.  Annnnnway, let me know about the Baclofen.  It sounds like it's possible to get via mail in lieu of going through a traditional GP.  However, if it's a life-long thing... that's less feasible.  Cheers.

• Like 1

Molly78
17 hours ago, Baclofenman said:

Actually, I wonder what a GP would do if you turned up at their door on a Baclofen programme but unable to afford the medicine - I would hope they would realise you cannot just stop..... @Molly78?

I think they would have to prescribe you enough to see you through a reducing regime, but they wouldn't necessarily allow their hand to be forced into prescribing your regular amount.

@BarrelChested I think the case for baclofen being a lifelong treatment is still open.  Most people posting on this forum are continuing to take it.  I believe some from MWO have stopped & continue to lead sober lives, but for obvious reasons, they're not regular posters any more.

It's not a big deal taking it continuously.  The SE pretty much go away or you get used to them after a bit, & the increase in quality of life is so miraculous that waking up each day is a pleasure, compared to the days of hangovers & "what embarrassing thing did I do last night....."  I have been on about 150 mg daily for 3 years now.  Ordering it isn't a problem, though you have to box & cox a bit with the online pharmacies as they keep changing their payment arrangements.  And the cost is more than offset by not buying booze any more.  2 bottles of cheap wine (my own particular poison) used to cost me about £12.  My bac is about 20p a 10 mg tablet so it costs me £3 a day.  My bank account & my liver are both a lot healthier.

• Like 4

Alcofree
On 12/3/2016 at 9:35 PM, Baclofenman said:

You need to click on the link, or preferably right click and open in a new tab (the text in italics) http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/forum/77-research/

I think the GP will be easier about supporting you ONCE you have reached an indifferent state (IE at a maintenance dose) - That said, if you list things that have improved since taking Baclofen (drinking has reduced/anxiety reduced/better wellbeing etc) you may be in busines

100 tablets is not a lot to be honest, by the time you are at 50 mg, that is 20 in 4 days - I am sure you appreciate the situation but I must reiterate it is not a good idea to run out once you have started - As I have mentioned before I am happy to post Baclofen within the UK to anyone who may find themselves in that position

Regards

Bacman

I have received 200 25mg tablets yesterday!!!!!!! It's my second day on 10mg in the morning and 10mg in afternoon. I struggle to stay sober, as withdrawal is hard on me. On Monday I was 100% sober- could not sleep until 5AM Tuesday morning. Then woke up at 10AM. Last night I drank and fell asleep around 1AM and didn't wake up until 6PM today!! So took 10mg straight away at 6PM and then 10mg at 9PM. Due to messed up sleeping pattern, I end up taking Baclofen at different times. HOW important is it, taking Baclofen at exactly the same times every day, please? Has anyone experienced such weird sleeping/not sleeping at the very beginning? I have been on Baclofen for one week now, staring on 5mg AM and 5mg PM. Jezz, I do have a long road in front of me, don't I?! 

Molly78

I think many people have the sleeping problems - my own experience has been that bac made me sleepy by day, but at night I would fall asleep for a couple of hours then be awake the rest of the night.  For some this rights itself.

You have already discovered that drinking with bac potentiates the sedative effect of the bac, hence your 18 hour nap!  It's a much smoother ride if you can stay off the alcohol, but not every one can do that.  Someone who drank through to their switch will be along in a minute with good advice.

Hang in there!  You're on your way!

• Like 1

Alcofree
On 12/3/2016 at 9:35 PM, Baclofenman said:

Regards

Bacman

Dear Bacman, I have not realised that I am so computer illiterate! I clicked on the link but it goes in circles and circles, does't actually open the Gide, for example! I will keep trying. 

It sounds bad, but I can't help asking this: Has anyone tried to forge a prescription? Please forgive my trying illegal avenues. My only reason for it is desperation to get well. 

StuckinLA

Hi. Find what works and is comfortable for you. As long as you have a steady day-to-day dose you are good. I've seen people take 300mg all at once every morning, and others taking 10mg every 2 hours through the day. 

So it's not that big a deal as long as you are on a steady day to day dose. 

• Like 1

Baclofenman
18 hours ago, Alcofree said:

Dear Bacman, I have not realised that I am so computer illiterate! I clicked on the link but it goes in circles and circles, does't actually open the Gide, for example! I will keep trying. 

The link does work, your browser may be on a go slow

Try clicking on The Complete List below

18 hours ago, Alcofree said:

It sounds bad, but I can't help asking this: Has anyone tried to forge a prescription? Please forgive my trying illegal avenues. My only reason for it is desperation to get well. 

As someone who regularly swings both sides of the "law", I would strongly suggest you forget this as an option - I guess you know this is a bad idea really

19 hours ago, Alcofree said:

I have received 200 25mg tablets yesterday!!!!!!! It's my second day on 10mg in the morning and 10mg in afternoon. I struggle to stay sober, as withdrawal is hard on me. On Monday I was 100% sober- could not sleep until 5AM Tuesday morning. Then woke up at 10AM. Last night I drank and fell asleep around 1AM and didn't wake up until 6PM today!! So took 10mg straight away at 6PM and then 10mg at 9PM. Due to messed up sleeping pattern, I end up taking Baclofen at different times. HOW important is it, taking Baclofen at exactly the same times every day, please? Has anyone experienced such weird sleeping/not sleeping at the very beginning? I have been on Baclofen for one week now, staring on 5mg AM and 5mg PM. Jezz, I do have a long road in front of me, don't I?! 

I would think that at this early stage, you will be wanting to introduce your body to Baclofen and obviously you are at the mercy of alcohol and Baclofen side effects - My personal opinion is that during titration it is important to keep a level of Baclofen in your system, (half-life), at 20 mg a day this is not so important than at, say 60 mg - After indifference there is opinion (and anecdotal reports) that the full dosage can be taken once a day, a theory I do not agree with 

From what I have read, most alcoholics using Baclofen suffer from somnolence (daytime tiredness) and poor sleeping patterns at night - FWIW, I had no such issues, maybe the odd bit of day tiredness (I was always tired pre Baclofen) but at night I slept well...., very well

Timescale wise, Yes, it is a marathon not a sprint, dealing with alcoholism through whatever means is a long and arduous journey - However long it takes, surely the end result makes it worth it

Regards

Bacman

• Like 3

Molly78

@Alcofree why would you want to forge a prescription?  You have obviously got the hang of ordering online & bac really isn't  that expensive to buy.

• Like 3

Baclofenman
1 hour ago, Molly78 said:

@Alcofree why would you want to forge a prescription?  You have obviously got the hang of ordering online & bac really isn't  that expensive to buy.

In comparison terms, I spent £100.00 a month on Baclofen (at indifference) as opposed to £400.00 a month on booze

Regards

Bacman 

• Like 2

Jetsman32

Hi @Alcofree and welcome. Sorry I'm so late to the party. I have not been as active on the forums lately as I have been in the past. I am just recovering from back surgery and returning to work so things have been a bit hectic.

Here is the good news- Baclofen does work! I didn't even know what Baclofen was until about 6 months ago. I found out about it randomly while Googling in a drunken state. I was a total mess. That Google search led me to this page and these wonderful people.

I ended up reading Dr. Ameisiens book and was hooked on the idea. I have been on Baclofen for I believe about 6 months now. I also had to order all of mine online- from Goldpharma. I titrated up VERY fast but that was because I was also addicted to Phenibut which has a semi-similar chemical composition. I had some side effects including sleep issues (like you) insomnia was a huge one. I found that herbs like Valerian Root were lifesavers for this problem. That and Netflix! 

I hit my switch dose about 2.5 months ago at 310mgs per day. So far it has been nothing short of amazing. I no longer have any side effects. My goal was never to be abstinent, it was to be able to drink when I wanted and stop when I wanted. I have that now. I haven't craved a drink in quite awhile.Don't get me wrong I will still drink occasionally but I can stop whenever I want and usually after 2-3 I just don't want anymore. I guess I could force myself to drink more but I don't feel the need to. When my brother-in-law came in for Thanksgiving I had drinks with him but at no time was I even buzzed or tipsy. It was really nice!

It is also nearly impossible to get a prescription here in the states. I finally found a Psychiatrist 3 hours from my house 3 months ago that will prescribe and it's been great in terms of cost-savings. However, with or without her I would have gladly paid for the Baclofen out of pocket. I'm not one of those people that was/is saving money by using Baclofen. I drank the cheapest crap available (bottom shelf) and drank at home. My monthly alcohol bill might only be $100-$150 total while the Baclofen might cost me $400 a month. I was losing money being on Baclofen but the piece of mind that I got by not having to deal with alcoholism was and will always will be worth the cost.

I hope you stick with it and your side effects are minimal. If they get really bad just take it even slower but stick with it. Everyone here will help you every step of the way and ou will get there!

• Like 5

Jetsman32

Hey @Alcofree are you ok? My last post was December 8th and we have not heard from you. We are here to support you- especially when things are going bad. Please drop us all a line to let us know you are ok.

• Like 2

Alcofree

Hi Jetsman32, thank you so much for asking! I have been on Baclofen for 21 days now, drank 13 days out of these 21. I am definitely sticking to Baclofen. I started on really low dose of 5mg a day; I am now on 45, hitting 50mg on Christmas day here, the 25th of December. I am keeping a diary of how I take Baclofen and mark the days when I drink. Never missed a dose of Baclofen since I started. My plan is to be on 100mg or higher if needed by the end of January 2017. A couple of years ago I tried to self-medicate with Baclofen, as could not find anyone who could help, no idea how I did not find this fab forum! Therefore, I failed dramatically then, as didn't have a clue how to take it, side-effects, etc.. And now I know, so I feel very positive that it will work this time. I am still trying to think of ways how to get a prescription. For now though, I will keep buying it online. The cost of Baclofen is not too bad now as I am on a low dose still. I have 200 tablets 25gm and then getting some delivered from abroad- 300 tablets 25gm. Depending on when I arrive at my switch dose and what it'll be, I will be looking into how to have ongoing supply prescription or not. But I will definitely be sticking to Baclofen. My greatest dream in life is to be indifferent to booze! At any cost. I really appreciate your concern, it's so kind of all people on this forum to support me! Still have quite a journey ahead, but with the support of people like yourself, I am sure I can do it! Many thanks! Kindest regards!

• Like 2

Alcofree
On 12/8/2016 at 6:53 PM, Molly78 said:

Hi Molly, sorry for late reply. I have been sticking to Baclofen for the last 21 days. Keep going, slowly. Will be hitting 50mg on the 25th of December. Well, to be honest, I am massively in debt- nearly £12,000, which is about $17,000. And on low income, hence trying to find a way to get a prescription. 

Molly78

Once you hit indifference you will be saving a massive amount on booze!

Well done so far & keep going.  I titrated up just before Christmas 3 years ago, but I made a decision not to drink for the first 2 weeks - somehow, the idea that things would get better with baclofen allowed me to do this, whereas before I couldn't imagine managing a single day without alcohol.  I would have gone longer not drinking, but Christmas arrived, parties etc, sherry at the carol service......& to my joy I discovered that I could have a few drinks then stop.

You could try going to your GP & asking for baclofen for "muscle cramps" - I get 30 mg a day from mine as an anti-spasmodic because I have a spinal problem.  Might have to be a bit creative here - say you are being woken by painful cramp at night & have heard baclofen might help.  GPs are used to patients arriving having Googled their condition & its treatment, might just give you the script if they're busy!  That would be a saving anyway.

• Like 2

Alcofree
21 minutes ago, Molly78 said:

Once you hit indifference you will be saving a massive amount on booze!

Well done so far & keep going.  I titrated up just before Christmas 3 years ago, but I made a decision not to drink for the first 2 weeks - somehow, the idea that things would get better with baclofen allowed me to do this, whereas before I couldn't imagine managing a single day without alcohol.  I would have gone longer not drinking, but Christmas arrived, parties etc, sherry at the carol service......& to my joy I discovered that I could have a few drinks then stop.

You could try going to your GP & asking for baclofen for "muscle cramps" - I get 30 mg a day from mine as an anti-spasmodic because I have a spinal problem.  Might have to be a bit creative here - say you are being woken by painful cramp at night & have heard baclofen might help.  GPs are used to patients arriving having Googled their condition & its treatment, might just give you the script if they're busy!  That would be a saving anyway.

Brilliant idea!! Thank you so much for supporting me! I feel strongly positive about Baclofen, will do pretty much anything to have this medication! Many many thanks and kindest regards! 

Baclofenman
On 21/12/2016 at 11:13 PM, Alcofree said:

Hi Molly, sorry for late reply. I have been sticking to Baclofen for the last 21 days. Keep going, slowly. Will be hitting 50mg on the 25th of December. Well, to be honest, I am massively in debt- nearly £12,000, which is about $17,000. And on low income, hence trying to find a way to get a prescription. 

There are things you can do to relief this debt

It is better to have an agreement than go into default? - All lenders are bound by FSA regulations which also cover change of circumstances

Fill your GP in with your plan and gauge their reaction with a view to future support

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

Alcofree
On 12/31/2016 at 11:12 PM, Baclofenman said:

There are things you can do to relief this debt

It is better to have an agreement than go into default? - All lenders are bound by FSA regulations which also cover change of circumstances

Fill your GP in with your plan and gauge their reaction with a view to future support

Regards

Bacman

Thank you Bacman! And Happy New Year! I am on 55 now. I have been upping Baclofen by 5mg every few days since the 1st of December last year. I am still drinking, pretty much non-stop. I am thinking to top up by 12,5 from tomorrow (half of the 25mg tablet), rather than by 6mg (half of the 12,5 tablet). Is it a good idea? I just can't wait to stop drinking as soon as possible. 

Kind regards.

• Like 2

Baclofenman

As you are finding, titrating with 25 mg tablets is a pain in the backside

The answer is, I don't know - I am not a pharmacist

But something I would pass your way;

I read something @DonQuixote wrote about the titration guide - IIRC he suggested that the 10 mg every three or four days was quite reserved and in fact he suggested titration could be handled with a higher mg - NOW, I cannot remember if he suggested this in relation to second or third time titrators or if this was for first time titrators

Like I say, I am not a pharmacist but the difference between 10 mg and 12.5 mg is probably "in the cut" but in any case, if you find the dose too high you can always back down again - AFAIAA there are no issues cutting a Baclofen tablet provided you cut when you need and do not store, also use a specialist splitter

http://www.boots.com/en/Safe-Sound-Pill-Cutter-And-Crusher_1291213/

Regards

Bacman

Baclofenman
2 hours ago, Baclofenman said:

I read something @DonQuixote wrote about the titration guide - IIRC he suggested that the 10 mg every three or four days was quite reserved and in fact he suggested titration could be handled with a higher mg - NOW, I cannot remember if he suggested this in relation to second or third time titrators or if this was for first time titrators

Make your own mind up...

http://www.mywayout.org/community/medication-research-and-support/66700-baclofen-2-observational-study-100-patients-published.html#post1310501

Regards

Bacman

• Like 2

Jetsman32

Hi @Alcofree glad you are sticking to the baclofen- believe me IT WORKS!. I had a similar problem to yours, I could not imagine paying $400 per month for my baclofen supply at my switch dose and have that being an ongoing cost. Keep looking for a Dr. You should specifically seek out a Psychiatrist that specializes in chemical solutions for alcoholism. I was very lucky that I found one. It still cost's me $180 per quarter to see her but I am saving a ton on Baclofen. Unlike many on here, I did not save a ton by switching to baclofen- in fact it was a more expensive proposition. I was a stay at home drinker and didn't mind bottom shelf rum which I could buy for $10 a liter. My total drinking cost per month was only around $100! The best thing you can do now is keep looking for a Dr. but at the same time reach indifference. If you can go into a Dr. and show them how your life has changed due to baclofen then that gives you a fighting chance to get a prescription.

@Baclofenman I'm not sure if you asked this here or on another thread but wanted to share my experience with Baclofen withdrawals. I take 310mgs per day in 2 doses. The first is in the morning between 6am and 10am and the second is in the afternoon between 4pm and 6pm. I have noticed that if I go 14-16 hours without my dose I get extreme anxiety. Once I take my baclofen I feel better within 20 minutes. I am sure this is a withdrawal symptom. I have also noticed that if I sleep in and it's been 14-16 hours I can't rest. I wake up covered in sweat and can't get back to sleep. Again, I am sure this is a withdrawal symptom as when I take my baclofen I am able to return to sleep peacefully.

• Like 3

Molly78
50 minutes ago, Jetsman32 said:

I could buy for $10 a liter

Bloody hell, Jets!  That's cheap compared to spirits in the UK.  Here you could barely get a reasonable bottle of wine for that amount - cheap wine is about $6 a bottle (750 mls).  It's obviously a lot easier to get p*ssed in the USA!

• Like 2

Alcofree

Hello All! I've hit 100 mg today! Cravings are still there. So is the drinking. I want to tell you that in Italy, Baclofen is without prescription (some pharmacies at least) and costs 10 Euro for 50 tablets 25 mg. So stock up if you travel to Italy soon! Kind regards. 

• Like 6

Molly78

Spain is the same, possibly Greece & many other european countries.  If anyone going anywhere in Europe it's worth asking!

• Like 2

Alcofree

Hi all! I'm on 125 mg now. Do you think it's okay to try and go up by 25mg every 3-4 days. I just need to stop drinking and my strong cravings sooner rather than later. I have been adding 12.5 mg every four days for last few weeks. Also, how does it happen, the switch? Do I just wake up one day and know I don't want to drink? Thank you.

StuckinLA

25 is a pretty big jump, but it depends on how you feel. If you feel ok and are tolerating side effects well then go for it, but maybe every 5 days?

And one morning you'll wake up and forget to drink.

Alcofree
4 hours ago, StuckinLA said:

25 is a pretty big jump, but it depends on how you feel. If you feel ok and are tolerating side effects well then go for it, but maybe every 5 days?

And one morning you'll wake up and forget to drink.

While waiting for replies, I actually went to 112,5, then 125 and then went up again by 12,5 which took me to 137,5 a day. I took every jump for four days. And yesterday I hit 150 mg, by adding another 12,5 mg.. I have to back down to 137,5 today. The side effects were pretty horrific last night. I literally could not walk, stand or even seat for too long. They lasted from  last night till 5 PM today! My right leg is still feeling rather numb around the ankle. So had to back down on Baclofen. At the moment, all I can think of is drink... Pretty bad, I know. What is your personal experience StuckinAL? Did you drink at the beginning or treatment? What was your dose to start with? Thank you. 

Hello All! I've hit 100 mg today! Cravings are still there. So is the drinking. I want to tell you that in Italy, Baclofen is without prescription (some pharmacies at least) and costs 10 Euro for 50 tablets 25 mg. So stock up if you travel to Italy soon! Kind regards. 

StuckinLA
On 1/31/2017 at 11:31 AM, Alcofree said:

What is your personal experience StuckinAL? Did you drink at the beginning or treatment? What was your dose to start with? Thank you. 

I was AF for 60 days when I started - went slow but steady from about 5mg up to 150mg during that time. Started drinking then and never really stopped (sometimes slowed) until I got to 240mg. At that point I was still drinking occasionally but not alcoholically, hardly at all. I didn't like some of the side effects and some sharp pain in my legs, so I went down and off and have had ups and downs drinking since then.

• Like 1