The End of my Addiction
KUYA

Checking In--January 2017!

Baclofenman
25 minutes ago, Ne1 said:

I hope for deep snow to (hopefully, if I get up the muster) slog through. I have clear memories of taking our old husky (Goose) on one of her last winters, and she wanted to play, but couldn't. Hopefully Pete will. 

Wish we had snow....I love snow

Trouble is a couple of mm of snow and the UK shuts down 

27 minutes ago, Ne1 said:

My street doesn't get plowed.

Enough already....

28 minutes ago, Ne1 said:

Ed's staying where he works to take care of the old folks. I'm on my own with Pete (husky) for at least 36 hours. It's kinda nice. 

I know what you mean - God how I have dreamed that the Pianna and the kids disappeared for 36 hours...- God i might actually get something constructive done.....Ho-hum back to reality Bacman

Regards

Bacman

• Like 2

KUYA
1 hour ago, Ne1 said:

@KUYA, It's such a relief that Rock Bottom doesn't really define addiction or recovery anymore, isn't it? The more I read, the more I listen, the more I get that the punishment of addiction is severe enough without insisting on that requirement. Enough to be sucked into the vortex of shame and ignominy without getting sucked into the "It has to get worse before you get out" rhetoric. Not that it's easy for the people around the person who is still seeking the punishment of Rock Bottom. God knows. 

I have to admit after reading the book I've mentioned a thousand times (A Presciription for Alcoholics) I'm left both devastated and hopeful. Good thing my mind can incorporate the contradiction. Sort of. ugh. Cheers to finding solutions that don't include devastation and destitution. 

Yeah @Ne1 it is sometimes hard to convey that everyone has their own 'enough' moment.

I never had any of the catastrophic events many relate (DUIs, divorce, health issues) and actually kept waiting for one then realised I was built like an ox and my drinking was too organised for  change to be forced by a 'rock bottom' that was probably going to takes years if not decades.

I simply grew sick and tired of being sick and tired.....no lightbulb moment.....no catastrophe.

• Like 3

KUYA
1 hour ago, Baclofenman said:

Wish we had snow....I love snow

Trouble is a couple of mm of snow and the UK shuts down 

Made me laugh....I remember it well!

My old neighbour from London emails me with tales of how some councils in the Uk cannot afford to grit/salt the roads due to budget restrictions.

World War One....check. World War Two.....check.  Snow.....eeeeekkkk ....run away!

Edited by KUYA
  • Like 4

Ne1

In Ne-Land (southeastern Virginia, and very close to the Atlantic ocean) when we get weather it's a BIG DEAL. Hurricanes come up the coast and I'm near enough that they're a big deal. Or any kind of really wet weather. Snow? Not so much. The ocean tempers that, keeping temps reasonable, so when we get an inch of snow (a couple of mms) it's a big hoo-ha and the cities shut down. I love that. Will love it less when I'm emergency personnel, but in the meantime, the husky and I can curl up together and admire the rain, or snow, depending on how the winds blow. literally. 

I have a kombucha question, which I'll post on other parts of the forum, but for expediency will post here now... My skoby is beautiful and fully ripened. Now what? 

Expect me to be around and annoying for the next... 36 hours. Ed away, pre-prepared food, bad weather... It's internet time!

• Like 3

BarrelChested
3 hours ago, Ne1 said:

My skoby is beautiful and fully ripened. Now what? 

A SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) is, well, good for making kombucha.  You can use test strips (pH) or judge by taste.  There are two general approaches -- batch brewing (where you CAREFULLY (i.e., don't contaminate) remove the SCOBY and transfer to a new vessel with fresh/new tea+sugar ) or continuous brewing (drain some of the fermented tea, add new tea). Just keep feeding that thing sugar/tea.  Personally, I like mine a wee bit on the tart side.

• Like 3

Baclofenman
7 hours ago, KUYA said:

Made me laugh....I remember it well!

My old neighbour from London emails me with tales of how some councils in the Uk cannot afford to grit/salt the roads due to budget restrictions.

World War One....check. World War Two.....check.  Snow.....eeeeekkkk ....run away!

I live (at the top) of a big hill, so the sledge is of great interest to the younger children - Of course they cannot be arsed to drag it up the hill (Dad is a knackered hero) - I remember riding skidding a motorbike down Highgate Hill once - A bum clenching experience of the first order - lol, the stupidity of youth - I ended up in an un-ceremonial heap of shite at the bottom!!

4 hours ago, Ne1 said:

In Ne-Land (southeastern Virginia, and very close to the Atlantic ocean) when we get weather it's a BIG DEAL. Hurricanes come up the coast and I'm near enough that they're a big deal. Or any kind of really wet weather. Snow? Not so much. The ocean tempers that, keeping temps reasonable, so when we get an inch of snow (a couple of mms) it's a big hoo-ha and the cities shut down. I love that. Will love it less when I'm emergency personnel, but in the meantime, the husky and I can curl up together and admire the rain, or snow, depending on how the winds blow. literally. 

Sorry, I had the vision of Virginia getting New York style snow - My Geography is pretty rubbish, I got a "U" for my exams - (Thanks for coming, could do *alot* better)

Just putting it out there but have you considered a paramedic, an Ambulance driver? - My Sister in Law is one in London and I *don't think* you need to be particularly heavily qualified to be one?

Regards

Bacman

• Like 2

Molly78
11 hours ago, Ne1 said:

so when we get an inch of snow (a couple of mms) it's a big hoo-ha and the cities shut down.

As others have said the entire UK shuts down when we have an inch of snow, but it's so rare in past few years.  I have a sledge in the garage for the grandchildren that I bought 4 years ago - it's still in its polythene wrapper!  The gritting lorry usually reaches our village around the beginning of April LOL so a snowfall can cut us off completely from the outside world - I remember it happening a couple of times in the 80s.  Since then, no opportunity to stay home by the fire with the dog for days on end.  Though I am doing just that today - I have the log burner going & my playlist plugged into the stereo.  I love this sort of day in winter.  The garden is brown & dead & is not calling to me for attention......yet.

• Like 2

Otter

We have had an alcohol-free holiday season.  Went to a dinner party at friends with no problems.  Fingers crossed things will stabilise once and for all.  We had four years of the gastric band and a year of it going wrong, and surgery to remove it after the horror story last May.  

What an awful year.  I don't know if things can get worse. Inhope not.  I intend to keep a low profile. 

We will be going to Burns Night this year but after that we are cutting back on the extra-curricular stuff that we were involved in which all revolves around drinking here.

Happy New Year to everyone.  

• Like 5

KUYA
4 hours ago, Otter said:

We have had an alcohol-free holiday season.  Went to a dinner party at friends with no problems.  Fingers crossed things will stabilise once and for all.  We had four years of the gastric band and a year of it going wrong, and surgery to remove it after the horror story last May.  

What an awful year.  I don't know if things can get worse. Inhope not.  I intend to keep a low profile. 

We will be going to Burns Night this year but after that we are cutting back on the extra-curricular stuff that we were involved in which all revolves around drinking here.

Happy New Year to everyone.  

Happy new year Otter.

I am not sure if I have mentioned this here but I am anecdotally convinced that gastric reduction leads to alcoholism. I know of five women (now six) four of whom had NO alcohol issues before surgery but who started drinking alcoholically after. It seemed to kick in after a year of successful weight loss.

One of them was a work colleague and it destroyed her career. I was still drinking secretly and felt so helpless and useless.

I believe this so strongly I have steered my son away from this surgery in spite of his weight and diabetes issues. He already binge drinks a little but is aware it needs to stop.

I have a theory from my own past history of progressing from anorexia to increased alcohol over many years. I think the brain and body quickly adapt to the reduction in real food by pushing you to crave alcohol for alternative fuel.

We think we can 'bypass' evolution but we cannot.

On a positive side I have found a happy way of eating now that keeps me healthy, content and losing weight gradually (23 kg in six months).

i hope your wife continues with her improvement....you have been to hell and back this year.

• Like 4

Alice22

I know I should stop the pot, it's just it does provide some tiny bit of relief, from the anxiety and the depression, and I'll take it, even just this tiny little bit because I'm just about getting by otherwise.  I am a 30+ year pot smoker, off and on.  i didn't smoke when I was pregnant but I have always had bad insomnia and it was the best remedy for that.  I stopped with no problem last year when i went away to rehab.  I was using  The Sinclair Method for alcohol and I think my addiction to marijuana became extinct.  I barely thought about it, I didn't crave it, nothing.  I just wish I could say the same for alcohol. Then when the drinking got out of control early last year, I started using pot to temper the alcohol use.  One psychiatrist I saw in a rehab  recommended it highly to help with alcohol cravings.  He told me to not let anyone know he told me that.  I started on bac shortly after and have just continued with smoking.   This depression I'm battling is not like any I've ever felt before.  I know that happiness is right in front of me, I have so many things to be happy about, a nice husband who loves me, great kids, I live in a nice place in a nice house, but I can't grab onto it or feel it at all.  It's blocked.  It feels some how unavailable to me, my brain can't wrap around it.  It scares me.  Sometimes I have such sense of pure dread and hopelessness. It's physical, it's hard to sit still, my insides feel all clenched up and I can't find relief.  An episode like this last about 20 minutes.  Then i have moments of profound sadness. I feel like there is just nothing but heartache in the world.  I have never been this depressed or felt this hopeless before.  It's even different from the depression I had when i was drinking heavily.  I have been trying to be active, social, it's just not working.  From all your reports, it's not the baclofen, which is a relief since it's the only thing to stop my drinking. Starting baclofen also coincided with weaning off antidepressants ( the last one was Brintellix) so maybe the depression is a result of that and not baclofen.  I don't know.  I cannot continue to live like this.  

I'm going out tonight to buy some tryptophan.  Bad night's sleep last night. 

@Jetsman32I had that same experience when i tried to taper the baclofen.  It was the last time I drank.  I was on 110mg and reduced to 100mg and then the next day by myself in the car   I drank alcoholically.  I didn't even get drunk and I told my husband right away and gave him the remaining alcohol, but it scared me. One day I was pretty much indifferent then just a 10 mg reduction and next day I wanted a drink so much.  I would stay where you are for awhile, especially since you don't seem to have any SEs.  I don't want to be on this stuff for the rest of my life either but for now I'm not taking any chances.  As a matter of fact, just in the past few days i have been thinking about having a glass of wine, just one glass, with my husband.  Thought it might even make me feel better, but it won't.  The day after the last time I felt truly awful, physically, mentally, emotionally.  I'm thinking about going up by 10mg.  Maybe help with the panic attacks too.  

@Ne1I am going to order "A Prescription for Alcoholics" tonite.  I first heard about it on the ThreeC forum for The Sinclair Method.  The author was offering it for free back then.  I just kept forgetting to download it.  

I only halfway took down the Christmas decorations and I'm too tired to finish.  It's cold and dreary here.  The lightbox should arrive next week.  Now I'm going to take a epsom salt bath.  Then maybe I'll sit by the fire and watch football with my husband.  Try not to spiral down into despair.

Thanks for listening.

• Like 4

Baclofenman

@Alice22 - IIRC the book is still available for free but only on Kindle via Amazon

If anyone is interested My Way Out is also free (certainly in the UK) HERE - Click on the book for what I assume is the text - I have not read it yet

Regards

Bacman

• Like 3

Felina

I'm so sorry about all you're going through, @Alice22. I hope the l-tryptophan helps. <3

• Like 2

Alice22

Thanks @FelinaI just got back from the store and I got 5-HTP--the salesperson said this is the same thing??

• Like 2

Felina
4 minutes ago, Alice22 said:

Thanks @FelinaI just got back from the store and I got 5-HTP--the salesperson said this is the same thing??

It's not, unfortunately :( - although 5-htp has its benefits. Message me your address and I'll send you some l-tryptophan. Or you can order it from this link, this brand is great. https://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-L-Tryptophan-500mg-Capsules/dp/B000GFSVS2/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1483837804&sr=8-1&keywords=l-tryptophan

Edited to add, I don't know why there is such a difference with melatonin, 5-htp and l-tryptophan, but there is. I've tried all three, and l-tryp was the only one that I found to be truly effective.

• Like 1

Felina
On 1/6/2017 at 8:55 PM, Ne1 said:

I have a kombucha question, which I'll post on other parts of the forum, but for expediency will post here now... My skoby is beautiful and fully ripened. Now what?

Now you have your kombucha mother. Call her "Mom." And she will continue to reproduce for you. Use her to start new batches of kombucha, and each batch will produce new scobies. You can even cut her in half and use each one to produce new batches. Keep her in a separate gallon jar with the extra, dark brown bottom liquid layer of each batch. I usually end up with so many extra scobies that I put them in my compost bin.

• Like 3

Mom2JTx3

Hello everyone.  I've been reading, just not posting as things have been busy here.  Happy New Year!  Better late than never, yes? :)  

@Alice22 :hug:Hugs. I wish I had words of wisdom.  I do feel an AD would help.  It doesn't have to be forever.  I used one after I quit drinking and it really helped. I'm weaning off now.  

I've titrated down to 200 mg of Bac, not really intentionally, I just keep forgetting my last dose.  I feel OK though.   I had a glass of wine a couple of days during the holiday, but no cravings.  After that weird turn I had when I drank too much wine one night and paced the floor for two days, I've felt good.  On New Year's Day I got together with my SILs who are always a bad influence :). I drank too much fireball mixed with angry orchard.  I guess that would be cider for the British amount us?   I drank lots of water in between and was the only one that stayed sober among the three of us.  I actually didn't want to drink, but they insisted!  I didn't have any urge to keep drinking and I had no bad side effects like I did when drinking wine.  No pacing.  I guess I just need to stay away from the Chardonnay.

@Otter I'm glad things are looking up. I think of you and your wife often. 

@KUYA I had the same experience of becoming an alcoholic after gastric bypass. I've always struggled with addiction.  Carbs, stimulants, smoking.  Not all at the same time. Alcohol was by far the worst. Right now it's internet. I wish I could get addicted to exercise! :(.  

I've been awake all night as insomnia is rearing its ugly head.  My second round of sleeping pills are kicking in so I will give sleep another shot. It's 5:30AM or so. Good night all!

Edited by Mom2JTx3
Spelling.
  • Like 4

DunDrinkn

Hello All. Caught up a bit with everyone this morning. Even looked up kombucha to see if I was missing something. Probably not my thing though I guess I will try one. The thought of little furry skobies dying off in a compost bin made me feel simultaneously sad and creeped out. 

I went 90 days AF and on the 91st day, I promptly started drinking. I have had a back/hip injury that has worsened over the last 4 months or so. Had X-rays, do physical therapy 2x a month. See a chiropractor (gentle, precise touch -- not a cracker) 1 to 2x a week. My PT floated the idea with me that it the baclofen may be the culprit in the injury as well as why I am not getting better. The theory is that because my core muscles are in a more relaxed state that they don't fire/contract in a normal way. It makes sense based on the initial injury, as well as the re-injuries that keep happening. 

Anyway, that isn't why I started drinking again. Although I did in part start drinking because of being in constant pain. I have since found a tincture oil that is 3:1 CBD to THC oil and I think that might do the trick on the pain and maybe on the constant anxiety as well. I haven't decided about the baclofen yet... I started to titrate down but realized I really need to jump off the AL again and then titrate down. So that's on the agenda starting today or tomorrow. Depending on how the day goes...

Hope everyone is doing well. 

• Like 5

Ne1

It's 18 degrees outside, 6 inches of snow on the ground, covered with ice, and the husky wants a walk. Why didn't I get a lapdog? 

Thanks for scoby info. I'm going to experiment with 'mom' later today. She's a beauty, if I do say so myself. I was also going to make chocolate chip cookies, which are definitely not approved these days, but I had a hankering. Alas, no chocolate chips. I crave those cookies so much it's tempting to brave the roads to drive to the store. I've had several accidents in the snow, and am a confirmed lousy driver, so I'm resisting the urge. Last thing we need is a car accident to pay for, all for the sake of cookies. 

I'm with you, @Mom2JTx3, that Chardonnay does strange and terrible things to my mind and body. Just add it to the list... 

@Alice22, if I'm remembering correctly, 5HTP is a precursor to L-tryptophan. And L-tryptophan crosses the blood-brain barrier much more readily than 5HTP. I would forego the 5HTP in favor of L-tryptophan, and definitely don't use them together. Could cause serotonin syndrome or something...

The My Way Out book is profoundly out of date. It's been years since I've read it, but hmmmm. Not the most relevant stuff you could read. I hope you can get some sleep, and some relief from depression, soon. They go hand in hand, too. 

@KUYA, there's definitely a correlation between gastric bypass and developing alcoholism. The information in the following article isn't comprehensive, but it quotes the right research: https://www.thefix.com/content/gastric-surgery-alcohol-abuse-switching-addictions8421

A much larger 2012 study in the Journal of the American Medical Association came to a similar conclusion. University of Pittsburgh researchers followed almost 2,000 people who had Roux-en-Y, adjustable band or another weight-loss surgery. Before their operations, 7.6% of the group abused alcohol; after the knife, 9.6% did so. And, the patients who had the Roux-en-Y surgery were twice as likely to abuse alcohol as those who had the gastric band. 

I have a friend who falls into that category. Gastric bypass about 5 years ago. Gained back most of the weight in the last couple of years, but also started drinking against her will for the first time ever. Just got back from rehab a couple of months ago. Devastating consequences all the way around. 

@Otter, glad things are going well. Hope things work out with the conference, whatever you decide to do. 

@DunDrinkn, congrats on the 90 days. Sorry about the 91st+. And about the pain. I have no idea if baclofen could be a culprit. I've had back issues long before starting baclofen. And weight issues for the last couple of years that exacerbate it all. I keep trying to make myself stretch before I go to bed, because my aching hips wake me in the middle of the night. What I really need to do (other than stretch, exercise, lose weight, yadda yadda) is get myself to a doctor, and get serious about treating it. Of course, she's just going to say that I need to stretch, exercise and lose weight. <sigh>

@Molly78, what's a gritting lorry? And weather is the same here... It's western Virginia, @Baclofenman, that gets all the snow. It's mountainous and cold over there. Here is flat and we have ocean-tempered temps. I haven't turned on the news, but I am sure the entire area is at a standstill and will remain that way for at least 4 days, because it's too cold to melt and we don't have the snowplows and stuff to do the roads. 

The place I work is, among other things, a soup kitchen that serves the homeless breakfast and lunch 6 days a week. I'm kind of blown away by the commitment the people there make to keep it on schedule and make sure there's food. And shelter, though that's through other organizations. I live pretty far away, but there are three employees (out of a total of 6 or 7) who live close enough to walk, even though it might be a long walk. And sure enough, they're there. People are...good. Sometimes. Most of the time.

I'm snuggled without any intention of leaving. It's a good thing I am very good at being alone! Ed left Friday morning and will be at work at least through tomorrow. 

• Like 4

Molly78
1 hour ago, DunDrinkn said:

My PT floated the idea with me that it the baclofen may be the culprit in the injury as well as why I am not getting better. The theory is that because my core muscles are in a more relaxed state that they don't fire/contract in a normal way. It makes sense based on the initial injury, as well as the re-injuries that keep happening. 

Dun, I'm interested that your PT had this idea, because it's my theory as well.  I have described this elsewhere but it's relevant to this discussion.  I have a scoliosis - a twisting of the spine - this is common in the over 60 population in a mild way.  Mine was probably present before I started using bac but I never noticed it.  My first attempt at using bac I continued to drink while titrating upwards, waiting for the magical switch which never came.  So I was taking HDB, drinking alcohol & also using quite a  lot of OTC painkillers for every little twinge.  This was over the summer months when I was doing a  lot of gardening, including some heavy stuff involving a strimmer which I should really have paid someone else to do.  Anyway at the end of that summer I was noticeably asymmetrical & had scoliosis confirmed by X-ray & MRI.  Like your physio, I think the fast progression was due to the bac (plus alcohol) relaxing my core muscles.

Recently I have been doing Pilates & working out at the gym, but it's too little too late.  I can tell it's progressing & I am now getting back pain - not severe, just an ache.  Interestingly I also get regular awakenings with aching hips like Ne.  If I had been more sensible in a number of ways this wouldn't have happened.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  I keep thinking about titrating down with bac, & actually tried gaba to see if that might be a substitute - it wasn't, it made me very dopey & uncoordinated. Didn't like it at all!  Anyway - it's Hobson's Choice isn't it for some of us?  Stop the bac & die of alcoholism, or carry on but keep working the core muscles, which is what I'm doing.

@Alice22 your symptoms sound awful.  If you go up on the bac a bit & get your sleep sorted, plus come off the pot & things still don't improve, then I guess it would be sensible to consider ADs.  You can't go on in that state of mind.  Keep posting here.  My thoughts are with you.

@Ne1  gritting lorries are the UK's answer to snow & icy roads  The council send out lorries which hurl a mixture of salt & grit out onto the road, sometimes damaging the paintwork of cars following behind & even cracking their windscreens.  These lorries work their way outward from the centre of towns over the winter, so outlying villages get them last.  We have plastic buckets of salt/grit on the side of the road from which we are invited to treat our own roads as needed!  It's lucky we hardly ever get the sort of extreme weather you do.

• Like 2

MJM

@DunDrinkn I'll chime in here with @Molly78 about the back pain. I too have a back ache that may be due to Bac. I have titrated down from 230mg to 150mg (now for about 3 weeks) and I some days it seems better, others not so much. The ache is worse if I'm bending down a lot such as when  gardening or working on my car, but even if I don't it can make it hard to go to sleep or wakes me up.

If it's because my core muscles are too relaxed, then maybe it's not the Bac in my case. My upper back muscles are knotty as ever with tension. I see my GP tomorrow, after getting back X-rays and a blood test after last time I saw her. Hopefully she'll have some answers for me.

Feeling a bit flat today. Might help if I did something like get some exercise...

• Like 1

Molly78

For anyone interested, here is an update on my ongoing quest for a good night's sleep.

The L-tryptophan arrived.  It works to a degree.  As I seem so resistant to supplements I went with @Jetsman32's dosage & took 3000 mg (6x500 mg caps)  This gave me about 4-41/2 hours of restful sleep.  Good - but not enough, especially in the winter when it's not much fun getting up at 4 am to a dark cold house.  Might be OK in the summer months, but probably still not enough hours to function properly by day.

Then the trazodone arrived.  Took 50 mg just once.  Had a bad night with weird burning pain across chest (not indigestion/reflux).  This isn't mentioned in the SE.  I had had some alcohol as it was Book Group, maybe that didn't help.  But not motivated to try it again.  If anyone in the UK wants to give it a go I will post it to you - PM me.

So it looks like I will stick with 25 mg quetiapine for now.  I was hoping to get off this.  No particular reason, just hoping for a more "natural" sleep.  I found about 6m ago that I had to go up to 50 mg, that worried me.  I think maybe 3 gm l-tryptophan & 25 mg quetiapine might do it.

But the quest goes on..........

• Like 3

StuckinLA

Good morning, everybody. Suppose I haven't updated or really checked in in a while. So I'm done with holiday travel, home and then the conference. A little sniffly from being out in the cold a lot, and a tad bit jetlagged, but otherwise doing fine. Classes started yesterday and went fine - though none of the little bastards had the textbook. (Ugh, who shows up to the first day of class without the books? 70 students at my school, apparently.)

Philadelphia was ok - the conference/convention. I went to a bunch of panel discussions, some were interesting and some were really terrible and stupid. Didn't get the chance to get out much, but did see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, and also saw the house where Edgar Allen Poe lived for a few years. And I got a bunch of free books at the publishers' exhibits, well, if you count 8 as a bunch. Barely fit everything back into my suitcase. Decided I'm not going to this conference again unless I am presenting a paper or I have an interview scheduled.

A little over 30 days AF. Sleep is pretty good overall. Trying to move past the sugar cravings and the impulsive shopping. I've mostly stopped buying things online (looking at my credit card bills helped). And there's a few things left I want to do with my car to get it set up where it feels like mine, but I'm going to wait a month or two until my bills are back under control. And while peanut M&Ms are still an ever-present temptation, been pretty good about cutting down on those and switching at least from ice cream to frozen yogurt. And working on getting back to mostly vegetarian now that the travel is done for a while. Well, working on that. Small steps I guess.

Need to make an appointment for a checkup, and get moving on all the psychotherapy promises I'd made last month. Amazing how easy it is to put that stuff off. But I'm going to do it, this weekend probably. Look for a doc in the area and also a shrink or therapist or two. We'll see how that goes.

Been trying to write most mornings, getting a tiny bit of exercise, and reading a lot (or at least reading more than watching Netflix, which I consider a win). And things are good with the girl. She stayed over last night. She hasn't been feeling good this week, we think it's stress from work. But we had a nice time relaxing here and watching TV in bed. I made a sandwich for her and the other night I took soup over to her at her place. So we are OK more or less.

And that's about it. Going to try to get some work done today, and maybe get a massage. Haven't done that in a while, and my shoulders are really whacked from carrying my bag loaded down with books n' crap all weekend in Philly. Plus I just like to be a spoiled brat and get massages :D .

• Like 9

Chuck

Hi everyone, long time no post!

Sorry I don't have time to read up on everyone's progress, I now have a job and am more in touch with my family (things I couldn't do when I was drinking). I'm still successfully drinking in moderation, the holidays were a bit of a bore (I think the election results bummed everyone out) and now I'm just focusing on staying healthy and moving forward. My friend in PA who got the DUI got a lenient sentence of house arrest with electronic monitoring until his next appearance in March, ugh... even in rural counties the courts seem to take a sadistic pleasure in dragging everything out so long. His wife who was injured is healing very well and they both are in (relatively) good spirits.

I decided this year I'm going to really go forward with promoting my success using Dextromethorphan. I don't know exactly how I'll do it. Prob a Facebook post which will send quite the shockwave, I kept my drinking problem very under wraps during those years so for many people it will be the first time they find out. But I guess I'll let you guys know first - if you or anyone you know has a moderate-to-severe overdrinking problem, that is more episodic and behavioral in nature rather than constant full-on addiction, and would be interested in a novel treatment, I would be happy to share, I will cover all costs and even travel to the individual (within reasonable distance), and all work will be done in person and strict measures will be taken to ensure comfort and safety. I am so convinced of this. Wishing you all a happy and sober 2017!

My best,

Chuck

• Like 1

BarrelChested
4 hours ago, Chuck said:

I decided this year I'm going to really go forward with promoting my success using Dextromethorphan.

Are you certain about the spelling? I found this Wikipedia article about this key component of Robitussin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextromethorphan.   Although I've never done it (seriously), I know that some people "robo-man" with this stuff. So far, Naltrexone seems to be slowly doing its trick (pharmacological extinction). Still, "the more you know..."

• Like 1

Chuck

@BarrelChested oh yes I'm sure, you can read all about it in my profile. It can be addictive but really only by choice as it's not chemically addictive at all, some people definitely take waaay too much (I've met a few) but it's kind of like "stoners" smoking pot every day - it's like a lifestyle choice. I think you meant "robo-walk", at high doses it makes you walk funny. I was an extremely hardcore drinker from 2010-2015 and then almost exactly a year ago I discovered it and it radically reduced my drinking, it's a dissociative and euphoric drug that allows you to be extremely introspective and figure things out and make great changes to yourself. There's a whole underground culture of people who use it to treat addiction, depression, bipolar II, PTSD, social anxiety disorder, etc. In that Wikipedia article you'll even see towards the end of the first paragraph it says "numerous other uses in medicine, ranging from... to the treatment of addiction."

• Like 2

stuckinhell
On 1/5/2017 at 1:30 PM, Alice22 said:

It's funny but at one point I was taking 130-140mg bac a day and i think i felt better, more mental clarity, more energy.  I wish I had kept better track back then but I was still drinking most of the time.   

Thank you all for your words & stories. They are so helpful to newbies trying to fight the alcohol battle.

Hi @Alice22 I have just recently started Baclofen and am still drinking the same, if not more. I'm slowly going up but am only on about 60mg ATM. I don't know if it's going to get better but I'm experience pretty hectic SE's like feeling ALOT more drunk than normal, passing out, sleepy during the day but refuse to sleep at night & crave to continue to drink more, harder & faster. Strange floaty feeling like I'm in space & don't feel like I'm seeing out of my own eyes. I also don't feel as much physical pain sometimes, plus a few normal ones like headache etc.

I am wondering what your routine for taking Baclofen & drinking was when you first started and how you came to drink less if you wouldn't mind sharing? And if you, or others reading this have ever experienced the same affects?

thank you!!

fredson

I touched on this subject a while ago, but let me emphasize again:

Scrub through all of your online accounts and look for ones you've forgotten about. 

I stumbled across my old account on a job board I haven't used in 5 years and came across a cringeworthy headshot (evidently I had not been shaving or bathing) and a thinly disguised admission that I was terrible at the job I had then and was looking to leave. This has been indexed under my name and searchable since then and god knows how many people have seen it. 

This was written around the time I had quit that job, was drinking at 10 am and had just joined MWO. My sense of judgment was probably at the lowest point it had ever been, and no one seeing that profile would have any reason to believe anything had changed. 

• Like 2