The End of my Addiction

Update 19 February 2017!

Alcofree

Dear all! I started on Baclofen on 1 December 2016. I started on 5mg. I am now on 145mg. And still struggling with drink! I go up by 6mg every 4-5 days. The SE are still pretty horrid: electric shocks every time I try to move, very wobbly on my feet, nauseous pretty much 100% of the time! Sleep- I don't even know, to be honest! But that's fine. I do drink still, sadly.. I do have days when I am totally indifferent to drink- unthinkable previously! I was on Venflaxine for the past two years or so. Found out that Baclofen and Venaflaxine- a very bad combo. Fully came off Venaflaxine two days ago.

What do I do wrong? Why do I still struggle? Could it be that there is still some Venaflaxine in my blood and it prevents to give Baclofen full power.. Could it be that I don't take Baclofen correctly: do I HAVE to take it at exactly the same time? Before or after food? Or is it simply too early for me to worry, as I have been on Baclofen for just over two and a half months? Is it a good progress- being on 145mg after two months?

Many thanks!

It sounds as though you are titrating up in a very sensible way.  Sorry to hear you are getting such bad SE.  You are having odd days when you don't want to drink - are these happening more frequently as time goes on?  And do you find the SE are less troublesome on the days you don't drink?  If yes to both questions then I guess you are making progress.

I am on 160 mg daily, but the total dose is really variable between people & doesn't seem related to size.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Molly78 said:

It sounds as though you are titrating up in a very sensible way.  Sorry to hear you are getting such bad SE.  You are having odd days when you don't want to drink - are these happening more frequently as time goes on?  And do you find the SE are less troublesome on the days you don't drink?  If yes to both questions then I guess you are making progress.

I am on 160 mg daily, but the total dose is really variable between people & doesn't seem related to size.

Yes and Yes! How long have you been on Baclofen when you got to the switch? Sorry, if I have asked this before! 

Well I can't answer the question about the switch, because as i've said elsewhere I stopped drinking, then started on baclofen, titrated up quite quickly & found the cravings just subsided.  The first couple of weeks were hard, but I kept telling myself that I would find it easier as time went on....& I did!  It was the knowledge (or hope!) that things would get better that kept me going for that initial period.  I think for a long while I wasn't completely indifferent in the way others have described - but I was coping, if that makes sense?

• Like 2