The End of my Addiction

Baclofen and buzz

Fallmoon

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, and it is so nice to be here with you people.
I am an alcoholic who is considering baclofen or TSM.
Reading lots of posting in this forum or that of TSM, I have become curious about getting a "buzz" on the medications used.
While with the Naltrexone, most of the people report there will be no or quite reduced buzz when drinking on the medicine, I have seldom come across that kind of statement with the baclofen.
So I would like to know how it feels to drink before and after hitting the switch with the baclofen.
Do you still feel buzz or high as before you started baclofen treatment? In other words, do you still feel it's pleasurable to drink?
I am sorry for my poor English (I am a Japanese), and any comment on this will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Fallmoon

• Like 1

Welcome, @Fallmoon!  I think you might be our first Japanese member, & there's no need to apologise, your English is very good.

My experience with baclofen is that I no longer get a buzz or a high from alcohol when I do drink.  My drinking now is mainly habit - the "after a hard day's work" reward.  That habit has taken a while to break for me - the lack of positive effect from alcohol eventually has an extinguishing effect, you stop bothering to drink because it's no longer pleasurable, similar to the effect naltrexone has.  The main advantage of bac for me has been the relief of craving & the anti-anxiety effect, though not every one experiences this.

I don't have any experience with naltrexone, but others on this site do, so hopefully they will come along to comment.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard, Fallmoon!  I can't comment more than that as I am just starting my trip with Baclofen.

For what it's worth, I feel like I may be getting some kind of placebo effect at a daily 30 mg dose.  I know it's not the drug itself, must be more that I'm taking a concrete step to change my behavior.

Hello Molly78, IWantOut, and thank you very much for your replies!
I know that experience each person will have varies, bu it is nice to know the real story from an actual baclofen user.
So for you, Molly, it seems that baclofen works in a kind of similar way to naltrexone, doesn't it?
What I would like is, of cause, having less craving. Baclofen seems to be able to achive this faster than naltrexone, which I am very much attracted...however, I will decide which medication to use considering the balance among cost, efficiency, and safeness, because both medications are not indicated for alcoholism in Japan which means that I have to undergo a treatment all by myself, without medical supervision... The less danger (i.e. side effects, unstable availability of medication used), the more prefarable I should think for me.
I am still thinking and will not rush.
IWantOut, I thank you for your sharing your experience. Knowing other people are now undergoing a treatment is very much encouraging! I hope you will success in the near future.

-- Fallmoon

Edited by Fallmoon
  • Like 2

@Fallmoon Welcme!  Baclofen was a miracle for me, but if I was to do it again, I would combine both.  Certain people respond very well to Naltrexone.  Others to Bac, and some have done a combination.  If you are one that responds to Nal, then you only take it when you drink.  If you aren't drinking,  you don't take it.  With Baclofen, you end up taking a lot of it every day if your switch is at a high level like mine was (310mg). You can't tell in advance.  If you're a 24/7 drinker, Bac may be the better option, or a combination,  I think it depends on a lot of factors.  

• Like 2

On 24/02/2017 at 10:18 PM, Fallmoon said:

I am an alcoholic who is considering baclofen or TSM.
Reading lots of posting in this forum or that of TSM, I have become curious about getting a "buzz" on the medications used.
While with the Naltrexone, most of the people report there will be no or quite reduced buzz when drinking on the medicine, I have seldom come across that kind of statement with the baclofen.
So I would like to know how it feels to drink before and after hitting the switch with the baclofen.
Do you still feel buzz or high as before you started baclofen treatment? In other words, do you still feel it's pleasurable to drink?
I am sorry for my poor English (I am a Japanese), and any comment on this will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Fallmoon

Hello Fallmoon

Science aside;

Certainly with Baclofen, you will still reach reach the same highs as you did before, during titration. The theory is that there becomes a time when the first thought is not to turn to alcohol as alcohol no longer is the desire of your "reward system". For some it appears to be a gradual feeling but for a lot including @Felina it was an almost overnight thing, the feeling of indifference or the switch as some people term it

I stopped alcohol on circa 60mg a day but I continued toi titrate to 180mg a day and settled at 150mg a day

On 25/02/2017 at 3:47 PM, Molly78 said:

The main advantage of bac for me has been the relief of craving & the anti-anxiety effect, though not every one experiences this.

This is my experience too. I was not aware I had anxiety, I thought it was normal - Hindsight has told me I was very wrong!

I too have never tried Nal, however my basic understanding is that the medication is designed to restrict the euphoria and therefore reduce the users interest in alcohol. Nal only works in conjunction with alcohol, therefore despite reading of one lady who is (iirc) 3 years abstinent thanks to Nal, her friends and others I have read about are not abstinent. You need to take a tablet around 1 hour before alcohol consumption

Both these medications need user responsibility to work. Baclofen in particular can be vicious if you take liberties with it - The prescription guide is a must IMO

Good luck

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1