The End of my Addiction

Antidepressants

Alcofree

9 hours ago, Alcofree said:

Which antidepressants work well with Baclofen please?  

Be careful- some antidepressants such as SSRI's and SNRI's have an accelerative effect on alcohol craving. I had this happen while taking Zoloft and Abilify. 

You would probably be better off going with baclofen until you know you've reached its full potential before adding anything. Poly drug combinations amplify side effects and withdrawals and are not to be taken lightly. 

• Like 2

@Alcofree see the thread below this one re mirtazapine - that is prescribed by GPs in the UK but not usually as a first line treatment.  Unfortunately all the pushing from Big Pharma has made SSRIs the go-to treatment.  Maybe do some research about mirtazapine & addiction & take it along to your appointment?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Alcofree. I took Effexor, and then it's newer cousin, Pristiq. (SNRIs) Both of those increased my craving and withdrawal symptoms. The evidence about SSRIs is mixed. It seems that the effect they have on increasing or decreasing alcohol use is dependent on both the drug and the person's genetic makeup. (Zoloft showed increase drinking in some people, decreased in others, with a genetic variant to explain the difference...) I can't afford genetic testing, even if it does exist, so I avoid SSRIs in general. I have not found a solution yet. Except that being AF helps, except that being newly AF is a depressant. Literally. Still, having a flat affect and inability to find joy, hopefully just in the short term, is better than being hopelessly drowning and hopeless in general. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:43 PM, Ne1 said:

Hi, Alcofree. I took Effexor, and then it's newer cousin, Pristiq. (SNRIs) Both of those increased my craving and withdrawal symptoms. The evidence about SSRIs is mixed. It seems that the effect they have on increasing or decreasing alcohol use is dependent on both the drug and the person's genetic makeup. (Zoloft showed increase drinking in some people, decreased in others, with a genetic variant to explain the difference...) I can't afford genetic testing, even if it does exist, so I avoid SSRIs in general. I have not found a solution yet. Except that being AF helps, except that being newly AF is a depressant. Literally. Still, having a flat affect and inability to find joy, hopefully just in the short term, is better than being hopelessly drowning and hopeless in general. 

Hi Ne1. I am on Mitrazapine 15mg at bet time. Really really helps with sleep. You need to be already in bed then take it. I didn't know how fast it works, so took it and decided to make a sandwich. Literally fell on the floor. I am not sure if they prescribe it in the US, but worth asking, maybe? I have only been on it for two weeks and a bit. Depression wise it takes 6 weeks to kick in.Waiting in hope...

Hi Ne1. I am on Mitrazapine 15mg at bet time. Really really helps with sleep. You need to be already in bed then take it. I didn't know how fast it works, so took it and decided to make a sandwich. Literally fell on the floor. I am not sure if they prescribe it in the US, but worth asking, maybe? I have only been on it for two weeks and a bit. Depression wise it takes 6 weeks to kick in.Waiting in hope...