The End of my Addiction
Ne1

Mark's Daily Apple supplements... recommendations?

Ne1

I'm thinking of ordering the starter kit from Mark's Daily Apple, which is a website about paleo and nutrition and lots of other healthful things. 

The supplements include an Omega, high dose vitamin D, probiotics, a multivitamin/mineral supplement and a whey-based protein powder. https://www.primalblueprint.com/supplements/platinum-package/

It's expensive. And I'm both broke and cheap. I like the idea, however fallacious it is, that all the things are there and presumably work together. I have plenty of vitamin D here, and my vitamin D levels are good (54) so I could stick with those... And I've brewed my own kombucha, and might take on other fermented foods for probiotics. But the thing is, I'm not good about eating or drinking any of it consistently. In fact, I'm struggling to do anything consistently. I figure by ordering these things in powder and pill form, I can get a clean start, and one I can stick to for 3 weeks. Maybe by then I'll be feel focused enough, and have enough energy, to take on my diet as a whole? That's my thinking anyway. 

I know that many or most of you are into whole foods and probably not into protein powders. But I want one of those, too. As a meal replacement, but also because I just don't eat regularly. (see the lack of consistency, etc, above.) Food holds very little interest for me right now. And preparing it is...ugh. I swear to you that both my husband and I would resort to Soylent, or whatever they come up with in the future that entails taking a pill, to get our meals. (And he was a chef for 20 years!) We're just... over food for the moment. Though, I have to say, I have subscribed to the NYT Cooking, which is great and lends a bit of fun to the preparation and cooking. 

So what're your thoughts? @empyr3al @Felina @BarrelChested Are there better, cheaper options (other than making my own food and whatnot) than simply ordering the stuff from Daily Apple? 

• Like 1

Ne1

One more question. Three day liquid diets? My therapist is recommending I do one. Thoughts? Suggestions for plans or recipes to follow? 

empyr3al

B1 and B100 for recovery.   Like a ton of B1 (thiamine).  Just advice as I am not a doctor.  Mixing SSRI's with things like 5HTP might put you into serotonin shock.  Not sure where are at so its hard to tell.  Protein powders and supplements I avoid at the moment.  Dr's are stupid same as herbalists trying tl sell something.  Be careful and check cross with drugs.om.

• Like 1

empyr3al

Mirtazapine helped me gain weight.  Not sure if you are over or under.

• Like 1

Felina

$199? Holy sheeit! I am a huge fan of Mark Sisson, and have been following his blog since 2008. But that's a lot of money to spend on supplements/powders you could easily get elsewhere for far less. Whey protein isolate and coconut fat are the two main ingredients in the powder - you could buy a huge tub of whey protein isolate powder at Costco for far less than that and mix it with coconut milk. Same nutrients for a fraction of the cost. Pretty sure his program is for the executive types who have more money than they know what to do with. Plus, as you mentioned, your Vitamin D levels are perfect, so why spend all that $ for more Vitamin D? 

That said, I don't see much issue with using protein shakes as meal replacements if you're not hungry. Heck, if you want probiotics, you could use yogurt or kefir (made from milk and/or coconut) and blend the protein powder with that. Yogurt seems to go down easy even if you're not hungry.

I've been researching ketogenic diets lately. Mark's been reporting on those a lot lately as well. I have no problem skipping the carbs but the idea of counting calories/micronutrients drives me nuts. 

A three day liquid diet is most assuredly a good idea. If you can handle not eating for three days, more power to you :) I would die.  

• Like 4

BarrelChested

I like Michael Pollan's advice: "Eat real food... not too much... mostly vegetables." It's spot-on.  "Real" food is a delight. It's not a struggle. Remember the last time you had a true vine-ripened, organic tomato? Yeah, you WOULD stab your mother in the face for another one. Ditto for an organic Granny Smith apple at its peak.  If you want/need to be lazy, stick to sweet potatoes (conventional are fine), onions, and pork.  Really.  If you have "the cycles," read-up on Sarah Ballantyne's Paleo Approach.

Oh, and in other news, upper management has suggested that I donate my code (er, "their" code - they paid for it) back to the Open Source Community). It's a massive honor... and, well, both a proud moment and a "you finally don't suck at this as badly as you suspected... this one time" moment. I'm both immodest ('Murikan) and self-deprecating/reasonable (British).  It's been a stellar day.  And the pooch is doing well. Win^3.

• Like 4

BarrelChested
12 hours ago, Ne1 said:

ne more question. Three day liquid diets? My therapist is recommending I do one. Thoughts?

Sack your crack-pot.  Liquid diets exclude fiber... which is good for you intestinal flora... and satiety... and a few other things.  We did not co-evolve with a liquid diet. More importantly, you'd be skipping/missing some of the better parts of healthy food.  Don't over-think it.  Eat real food.

• Like 2

Ne1

Thanks, @empyr3al. I'm trying to lose. I took Abilify last year and gained an inordinate amount of weight. Fortunately, I take lots of Bs, so I think I'm in pretty good shape there. 

13 hours ago, Felina said:

$199? Holy sheeit!

I've been researching ketogenic diets lately. Mark's been reporting on those a lot lately as well. I have no problem skipping the carbs but the idea of counting calories/micronutrients drives me nuts. 

A three day liquid diet is most assuredly a good idea. If you can handle not eating for three days, more power to you :) I would die.  

Thanks, Felina. Holy sheet, indeed. That was kind of my take on it, but I just didn't know and the whole one shot and you're done appealed to me. I'll order some protein powder and all the rest. FTR, my vitamin D levels are good for the first time in my life because of heavy supplementation. No less than 2000IU of D, sometimes twice that. I don't diet, at all, ever. I mean, I'm (mostly) not an idiot, so I can watch what I eat, but counting calories? Nope. Never going to happen. I have no idea if I can go three days, or even one, without eating. It's worth a shot. I think. We'll see... She's actually suggesting a juice fast, with vegetables mostly, and bone broth. I'll find out more info this morning. 

6 hours ago, BarrelChested said:

I like Michael Pollan's advice: "Eat real food... not too much... mostly vegetables." It's spot-on.  "Real" food is a delight. It's not a struggle. Remember the last time you had a true vine-ripened, organic tomato? Yeah, you WOULD stab your mother in the face for another one. Ditto for an organic Granny Smith apple at its peak.  If you want/need to be lazy, stick to sweet potatoes (conventional are fine), onions, and pork.  Really.  If you have "the cycles," read-up on Sarah Ballantyne's Paleo Approach.

Oh, and in other news, upper management has suggested that I donate my code (er, "their" code - they paid for it) back to the Open Source Community). It's a massive honor... and, well, both a proud moment and a "you finally don't suck at this as badly as you suspected... this one time" moment. I'm both immodest ('Murikan) and self-deprecating/reasonable (British).  It's been a stellar day.  And the pooch is doing well. Win^3.

I like Michael Pollan's approach to food, too. In general. But, hmmm. Lazy? Judgment-free-zone in this place, BC, and that kinda feels judgmental. Perhaps you're missing the point? Just so you know, I'm not missing your point. As I said, I agree with you. But food holds very little appeal for me right now. Preparing it and making it interesting is an exercise in futility. Feels that way. And I (and my therapist) think that I might have some food insensitivities. Or leaky gut. Or perhaps it's just a function of depression? Which could be a function of poor gut-health. Since I can't, (or in your words), am too lazy to stick to an elimination diet for a whole 30 days, which seems interminable to me, I'm looking for the good ol' shortcut. ('Murican, of course.) Perhaps, just maybe, a fast for 72 hours can help me reset my interest in food and rekindle a commitment to eating. Nothing else has worked, so I thought I'd try it. 

6 hours ago, BarrelChested said:

Sack your crack-pot.  Liquid diets exclude fiber... which is good for you intestinal flora... and satiety... and a few other things.  We did not co-evolve with a liquid diet. More importantly, you'd be skipping/missing some of the better parts of healthy food.  Don't over-think it.  Eat real food.

I get it. But maybe you don't? I mean, I don't believe in diets, in general, or quick fixes when it comes to nutrition. The evidence is clear. Diets don't work, period. I happen to like and respect and appreciate my doctor. I'm struggling. She's trying to help. There is some indication that a cleanse can help people who are struggling with food issues. And while this isn't a cleanse, exactly, and includes (among other things) bone broth and even sweet potatoes if I decide to eat, it is all the things I've written about above. We hope. Based on your advice previously, and Felina's input, I've incorporated lots of beneficial things in my diet, including fermented foods, green apples and I've always eaten a lot of sweet potatoes. I generally avoid simple carbs, though cave and eat chocolate or other sweets when craving is intense. We make our own food, and when I eat pre-packaged, it's the best pre-packaged (?) one can buy. So I get it. Whole food. Balanced nutrition. Elimination diet. I'll get there. Or at least that's the goal. 

On your other news: Congratulations, BC! That's great stuff. I'm really happy for you that not only has the job worked out but that you're doing well. And congrats, too, on the dog. Much as I whine about mine, I can't imagine life without her. I've actually never not had a dog, and usually more than one. They're very fulfilling and I'm happy for you. 

• Like 1

Nicnak

Well I believe in calorie counting and I've tried most diets over the last 10 years of being overweight.But I had great success last year and lost loads of weight but that's more to do with not drinking than anything else.I used to eat my way through a bottle of wine.

But I do eat healthy and find that I mostly eat vegetarian when calorie counting ad you can eat more and I love stuff like chickpeas and lentils ect.I make a mean mushroom and lentil curry and make it creamy with a dollop of Greek yoghurt.I do eat wheat though and serve it with couscous.Anyway,that's the end of my cookery lesson haha

• Like 1

empyr3al

@Nicnak.  It doesn't matter what I eat unless I drop under weight because I don't eat.  I have had the hardest time gaining weight.  But I work hard all day long and experience crazy stress so I'm thin.  My BMI is pretty much spot on now which wasn't much of a challenge as its 10lbs + -.

@Ne1 I married a woman way obese.  We spend 10's of thousands on surgery.  I do not judge on physical appearance.  Personality is the winner.  I may be blessed with a balanced body but thats just the way it is.  Unfortunately it gave her a huge amount of shame which I fully understand.  From Alc addiction, I learned that I cannot judge someone.  We are all different.  If that's what you are; then be okay with it.  Nobody is allowed to tell you that you are not beautiful.  

• Like 1

Felina
On 6/13/2017 at 7:46 AM, Ne1 said:

She's actually suggesting a juice fast, with vegetables mostly, and bone broth. I'll find out more info this morning. 

It almost sounds like she's recommending some form of the GAPS diet. I'm pretty sure you and I have discussed GAPS before on this site. It's a GREAT plan for people who are trying to get to the bottom of food sensitivities and the like. And I get the whole idea of that and support it wholeheartedly. I have long wanted to try that myself. Only problem is (and I believe that you and I are exactly alike in this regard, just like in many other areas) I can't even imagine doing all the work (and dealing with all the hunger) that would be required by such a regimen. Too many details and too much restriction. 

empyr3al

I used to count her freckles just so i knew her better.  Not a curse to her.  That is love.

• Like 1

BarrelChested
On 6/13/2017 at 7:46 AM, Ne1 said:

But, hmmm. Lazy? Judgment-free-zone in this place, BC, and that kinda feels judgmental.

@Ne1. You misunderstood me (which is my fault for not communicating clearly). By "lazy," I mean "can't be bothered to be fancy/creative/extravagant/etc."  I struggled with weight and constant bloody diarrhea for over twenty years. I get it.  To me (in this context), to "be lazy" means to just go for the easy/simple/no-brainer healthy foods.  Those are all quite good for your intestinal flora.  When I gave-up gluten, grains, nightshades, and sweeteners (I gave up sugar so many years ago that I've forgotten when that was) -- when I "fixed" my diet, I dropped a ton of weight and saw all of my lab work (annual physical/etc) "magically" come back to normal levels. My doctor was quite surprised.

As far a ketogenic diets go... well, I didn't find it challenging. AND, following one led me to discover that gluten is a huge problem for me. On the other side of the coin, everyone I know that's done a keto diet (I have a friend that lost just under 20lbs, for example) found that the weight came back within a few months.  Read about Intermittent fasting. I did this for a while. There are a few benefits to it... and after you adapt to the schedule (your body stops freaking-out when you set a meal-time schedule... er, eventually), well, it's really convenient.

I should go on some sort of diet. However, at the same time, I've eliminated a lot foods (all grains... most of of the time -- but never gluten). AND, I feel remarkably healthy. I'm just not as thin as I'd like to be. Meh.  I suspect that the only thing "wrong" with my diet is that I still drink (albeit in moderation -- I probably drink a dozen per week).  I've absolutely noticed that alcohol does bad things to my body. I had to get healthier, though, to be able to see the effects of booze in isolation. So, again, sorry about the misunderstanding; I really did/do mean well.

• Like 1