The End of my Addiction
Ne1

August 2017 Checkin' In

StuckinLA

Well it's official, 8 months today. Longest I have ever been AF since I first began drinking regularly. Doesn't feel like much of anything, really, but I sure wouldn't mind celebrating with a shot and a beer.

• Like 7

StuckinLA

And in honor of my anniversary, I just got a job interview scheduled for tomorrow. A good, really good job. Fingers crossed.

• Like 5

Molly78
21 hours ago, empyr3al said:

If you need me to find the full doc for you I will.

Thanks, but I found it - for some reason it didn't come up when I searched "The 13th amendment" but I just saw from your clip it's called "13th" - & that came up straight away!  One for My List.

• Like 1

StuckinLA

Thanks for the good wishes everybody!

Man, I boooooooooommmbed that interview this morning. Only had to think it through once after to see the problems, but it's been playing over and over in my head all day. Trying to put it out of my mind, as what's done is done.

Also had a talk with the girl last night, more of the same conversation about "us" that never seems to get resolved. But she did stay the night, and provided I'm not moving across the country next week (likely given the interview performance) we're going to work on being more of a couple. I think.

Anyway, wondering how you're doing, @Ne1. Drop us a quick line when you can.

• Like 3

SKendall

Stuck, so sorry about the interview.  Good job on 8 months.  You are sounding really well and you should feel good about yourself.

• Like 1

SKendall

Ne, I have to do the friend thing on MWO, I think I know.

I know what it's like to have the husband suck you oxygen.  Hubby took retirement at 56 and tried to micro manage me.  I'm glad I didn't have a gun.

I took a road trip from Seattle to TX where I now live and I felt sensational driving alone.  Just came for the winter at that point.

I am sad about you going to OH, but maybe the separation will be good for both of you.  I haven't been checking in much, will do better.

StuckinLA

Life sure has not lacked for excitement this past week, or maybe by that I just mean stress. An opportunity arose in which I would have had to pick up and move to Philadelphia in about a week's time. But like I said, that interview wasn't my best performance. After two days of waiting, I followed up and learned I was not their first choice and didn't get the job. Don't know how much the interview had to do with that, but the experience was good - only my second skype interview, so any practice I can get is good.

But I've also been offered a really good part time opportunity here in LA for the academic year, which will restore my full benefits and cover close to 3/4 of my usual salary. That plus the one class that I already knew I'd have for fall, things are looking up. The best news is that the part time position is in an English department, so I'll be teaching actual literature classes - not teaching writing or composition, but actual literature. This is so awesome. Working on finalizing the offer after an initial email from the department. It's also a really good school, so that will be helpful on the job market.

A whirlwind of ups and downs, a lot of things outside of my control. A lot of my time is spent just hanging out in bed, watching TV or playing Xbox. That part isn't so great. A couple days I went for short jobs last week, trying to get back into that more regularly but it's been difficult to stay motivated. Smoking way, way too much and generally feeling like a slug.

Anyway, thought I'd update ya'll. Hope OH isn't holding you captive, @Ne1. Blink twice if you're OK.

• Like 5

Nicnak

Well after weeks and weeks off back (not sure how long and can't be bothered to trawl this thread) I am now up to 135mg.Side effects are snoring,falling asleep watching tv ect and my usual constipation.

Had a smear test and mamagrame recently and both have come back normal which is a relief for a woman coming up to 50 when these types of cancer seem to be more prevalent.

I remember on one site I was on saying how worried I was about liver damage and someone said it's cancer I should be more worried about as a heavy drinker.So this as set my kind at rest for the time being on these cancers but I do feel that my howel issues that I have in Bac might be masking cancer symptoms in the future.

Anyway,hoping beyond hope to be indifferent soon 

• Like 2

Felina

Just popping in to say hi and give a quick update. 

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism this year and finally got around to taking meds this month (did some research and am on Armour Thyroid). I have also been AF for almost two months now. I feel fantastic, better than I have felt in years!  I suspect I've had thyroid issues for a long time. And the relationship between alcohol and thyroid disorders is pretty strong. I can't believe how clear- headed and chipper I feel. 

I live in the path of totality for the eclipse so very much looking forward to that today. Have a wonderful day, everyone. 

• Like 5

SKendall

On the subject of Netflix, I have enjoyed Rake, the Oz version.

Ne, how are you?

empyr3al

I haven't seen it.  @SKendall what is it about?

There are some frustrated users of kodi boxes, but we don't actually need netflix though I do pay for it so content is produced, so I can watch 4k on my roku tv. Roku is a joke in Canada. Left netflix for a bit when one of my favorite shows was cancelled.  I'm of whats known as the breakbeat generation, hit 40 yrs.  So cancelling "the get down" bugged me, so I stopped my subscription for a bit.  Need to change my isp as torrenting is monitored.

StuckinLA

Hi all, just thought I'd check in once more before August Check In is a thing of the past. Sure is quiet, guess they've got @Ne1 locked in a basement away from the computer :) Seriously, though, hope you're doing well, Ne.

I'm a little scattered these days and dashing off in a dozen directions at once and overwhelming myself. Thinking 'oh I should write this' or 'write that' or 'read all these things over here' and not ending up doing much of anything, it seems. One class has started already, and it seems to be going fine. Two more classes start at the end of next month, and the school peeps seem very happy with what I've proposed to teach, but I haven't read very many of the books I plan on teaching - my great secret, I usually put books on the syllabus because I've been meaning to read them. Well, that just means I have a ton of reading and background research to do this coming month.

Plus the job market for 2018 has ramped up already. Three jobs announced so far that I have my eye on, two of them I really, really want. Which means fresh application letters and other materials, and the feeling that I should quickly dash off a couple academic articles so I can list them on my CV as 'submitted,' plus a conference that I ought to submit an abstract for, and on and on it goes. Overwhelming.

And that's not even mentioning the activism and political writing and the online magazine we're trying to get going, to keep going. Ugh. And off to city hall today to make public comment at a city council meeting, wrote up a nice 3 minute speech for that which includes absolutely no profanity--very proud of that fact.

In other news, had LASIK over the weekend. That was weird. Been thinking about it for a while now and eventually last week just decided to do it. Had already had the consult a few months ago, so it was just a phone call and the surgery was scheduled. Saturday morning I needed glasses, Saturday evening I did not. It's strange, but even as I was going through the whole thing I didn't expect it to actually work. So now I'm glasses-free and working out my budget to pay for all of it :)

Hope it's a good one out there, everybody. Stay cool, and anyone near Texas hope you're ok.

• Like 3