Jump to content
The End of my Addiction

September Check In


StuckinLA
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Admin1 pinned this topic

Yo, alright Stuckers - Sorry been (very) aloof recently. Busy time at work for me, the summer. Bleeding hate it lol....

Still 610 days af for me, really not fancying it at the moment. Still getting pissed of with The Pianna, she only needs to look at a glass of wine and loses all sense of responsibility, sense and...well anything really. We row about it, she recons it is me being "boring" and "forgetting what I used to be like".....- Still, she has forgotten about it in the morning which is about par for the course.

I tried to cut down the Baclofen recently to 90mg a day. After a week at 90mg, I stated to feel a little...., you know the feeling so I am currently at 120mg and sometimes 90, if I forget to take one lot.

Also, I went to the doc's. She said I was good apart from putting on a little weight but she said I was lacking in B12 and to take another blood test. being me, I wanted to nail it quick so I bought a B12 oral spray pump. I had been feeling low (er than normal lol) and by golly, this thing works. It has given me an extra lift in my head and a spring in my step. Apparently I can have a 3 month lasting injection at the docs. Pump costs about £12.00 a week, so it is not cheap but well worth it IMO.

Anyway, hope everyone else is good.

Regards,

 

Bacman

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy September.  Went to an amusement park for the holiday weekend with the family.  The weather wasn't great so the park conditions were awesome :)  no lines!  We bought a two day pass but got everything done the first day.  Back to work tomorrow.  Sigh.  Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spray pump you say, @Baclofenman? I bought a bottle of B12 oral lozenges recently, and frankly didn't notice much. Added it to my morning routine and making quite sure to take my vitamin every day.

Not just the alkie history and worrying over not absorbing vitamins, but as a (mostly) vegan and a terrible one at that, there are vitamins (the Bs among them) that I simply can't get in my diet. The funny thing is I only think to take vitamins and supplements when I'm drinking. Sober for a while, I don't think about it but really do need them.

Speaking of sober, end of this week will be 9 months. And not getting high, either, not since a couple months ago. I think about it a lot, of course, but so far doing ok.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@StuckinLA,very very well done for your AF time and no high time lol.

@Baclofenman,I had they 3 day vit course at the local alcohol centre.Blimy did it hurt.

I had it because they said most heavy drinkers don't eat properly.Me sitting there at 5'2 and 13 stone!.....thank god 3.5 of that had gone.

well my friendship with Baclofen is over for now I think.I once again went over and above my previous switch amounts and nothing.So because of that and the severe constipation I get where I can't go at all without strong laxatives and pessarys im giving up and switching to TSM.I have quite a lot of naltrexone pills which I ordered last year but didn't use.Im on day 6 and have only been having 125ml of wine and hour after taking the pill.

Feel quite queasy on it but it's getting better.Will stick with it and see how it goes 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Nicnak Good luck!  I think that's a good approach.  I often wish I had given TSM a shot since I'm on soooo much Bac.

@StuckinLA Congratulation!  Good for you :)  Any more progress on the other job leads?

Not much going on here.  Kids back in school.  I do like this time of year.  I would miss the seasons even though we'd like to retire somewhere without snow someday!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, @Mom2JTx3. Except for a little something extra this coming spring, I am set for this year. My job search now is for *next* year, beginning Fall 2018. The academic market is a long game, with searches beginning right about now and initial deadlines around November 1. So that's what I'm working on.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I usually order Baclofen from Goldpharma but naltrexone is very expensive from them.Anyone know of another site that takes credit cards.Allday chemist are quite cheap but the ordering seems complicated and they seem to want a prescription 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Nicnak I hope you get your naltrexone.  Iwonder if you might do well on a combination of low dose bac (at whatever level doesn't cause too much of a problem with constipation) plus naltrexone.  I have always thought it must be difficult to cope with the cravings while you wait for the naltrexone to work. 

@StuckinLA Congrats on getting your career back on line.  I was thinking of you today when I read an article in the Guardian by George Monbiot advocating "kinder politics".  He mentioned the Bernie Saunders campaign, which I think you were a part of,  using the Big Organising model.  With Trump in the White House & Brexit in the UK seemingly encouraging the rise of  racism  & Fascism, we could certainly do with kiner politics!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/5/2017 at 5:00 PM, StuckinLA said:

Spray pump you say, @Baclofenman? I bought a bottle of B12 oral lozenges recently, and frankly didn't notice much. Added it to my morning routine and making quite sure to take my vitamin every day.

Got to be a spray - Goes straight into the bloodstream. I tried tablets too, same result as you - Disappointing!

On 9/5/2017 at 8:00 PM, Nicnak said:

well my friendship with Baclofen is over for now I think.I once again went over and above my previous switch amounts and nothing.So because of that and the severe constipation I get where I can't go at all without strong laxatives and pessarys im giving up and switching to TSM.I have quite a lot of naltrexone pills which I ordered last year but didn't use.Im on day 6 and have only been having 125ml of wine and hour after taking the pill.

Sorry about the constipation @Nicnak You put a lot of time and effort into Baclofen. I hope the Nal is better on you

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey @Baclofenman, maybe you already know this but I was at a medievalist conference this weekend and learned the etymology of your wee nickname, Nosey Parker. It's after Mathew Parker, 1st Archbishop of Canterbury. He was always pestering other bishops and librarians about the manuscript holdings of their collections. Hence, being nosey :D

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/09/2017 at 8:00 PM, Nicnak said:

@StuckinLA,very very well done for your AF time and no high time lol.

@Baclofenman,I had they 3 day vit course at the local alcohol centre.Blimy did it hurt.

I had it because they said most heavy drinkers don't eat properly.Me sitting there at 5'2 and 13 stone!.....thank god 3.5 of that had gone.

well my friendship with Baclofen is over for now I think.I once again went over and above my previous switch amounts and nothing.So because of that and the severe constipation I get where I can't go at all without strong laxatives and pessarys im giving up and switching to TSM.I have quite a lot of naltrexone pills which I ordered last year but didn't use.Im on day 6 and have only been having 125ml of wine and hour after taking the pill.

Feel quite queasy on it but it's getting better.Will stick with it and see how it goes 

Hi @Nicnak.Where did you buy Naltrexone? I'm thinking of switching from Baclofen.. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, StuckinLA said:

Hey @Baclofenman, maybe you already know this but I was at a medievalist conference this weekend and learned the etymology of your wee nickname, Nosey Parker. It's after Mathew Parker, 1st Archbishop of Canterbury. He was always pestering other bishops and librarians about the manuscript holdings of their collections. Hence, being nosey :D

Lol,

I must confess I am slightly embarrassed an American knows more about the heritage of the name than a Brit!

The only communications I have ever had with the great man is the morning after "God, please get me out of the shit I caused last night while pissed" prayers!

I am generally nosey, not only is it my job but my pastime!

Regards

 

Bacman

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello all,

    Long time since I've posted! Glad to read the comments above and hear that everyone is doing well. 

Things here have been rocky for the last 3 months. My company went through a series of layoffs this year and my number was called on August 10th. I had been with the company for nearly 6 years at that point. The severance package wasn't great but enough to help us get by. They did give me two months of subsidized COBRA (I only pay my share) healthcare which I am grateful for. The good news is that I wasn't out of a job very long. My first manager at my last company is now a Director at another one. As soon as he heard I was available he brought me on as a contractor for an initial period of 3 months. He is fairly confident though that the contract will be extended up to 1 year or they will convert me to permanent. The one new aspect to this is that I work from home 100% of the time because the company is located in Boston and I live in SC. I've worked from home a few days here and there in the past but never full time. I find I'm working a lot more (on the computer by 7:30am) but also deeply miss the office environment and interacting with other people. In any case, I am not complaining.

      I am still indifferent and am at 240mg of Baclofen (down from 310). I am scared to go any lower. While I haven't gotten drunk I have found that I have slightly more desire to drink. When I was at 310 I didn't even think about alcohol, now at 240 if I pass a liquor store I get an inkling to stop- but I haven't yet!

    About two months ago I was feeling a sharp pain in my right upper back and it was causing me to have trouble breathing. At my wife's insistence I went to the ER and I'm glad I did. While there they found a large blood-clot in my right lung and a smaller one in my left lung. They said if I hadn't come in it might have broken off and gone to my brain and my next visit to the hospital would likely be in an ambulance if I survived at all. I am now on Xarelto, a blood thinner which I take daily. Turns out my clots are hereditary- thanks Mom :)

   @StuckinLA congrats on your sober time. I am confident that the job search will pan out for you in the next few months.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @Jetsman32  Good to hear from you.  I'm glad things are going well.  I'm down to 250mg, but if I get any sort of cravings, I'll bump up and stay there for awhile.  I've found that I have what's called the kindling effect.  When you detox too many times, it takes very little alcohol for you to have DTs.  I find I can't drink at all now, but it's good motivation!  Congrats on the new job.

Hope everyone else is doing well!  Things are quiet for me.  We were recently bought out and I was worried about my job, but it seems that they are actively finding a place for me and my team, so I'm relieved. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey @Jetsman32, great to hear from you. Sorry about the work stress but it sounds like you've landed on your feet. And glad you found the clots, that's scary shit. I mean, scary to think you might not have known. Seems like you are in good hands.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi September people, I am pretty new to Bac really. Started seriously Sept 5 2017 so just going slow and steady. Only up to 50 mg and hopefully will go up to 60 mg Monday after a night out tonight and Sunday, I know I have a long way to go to get up to 200-300 mg whatever it takes?

I get so tired and feel kinda stoned and dizzy at this point. I have a spreadsheet I keep up on to track my titration and have a pill box I keep out with my doseage so I don't forget the amount I take. I also have had a few incidents of coughing or sneezing and peeing myself a little which never happened to me before along with urinating more frequently, anyone else?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, cheeto said:

Hi September people, I am pretty new to Bac really. Started seriously Sept 5 2017 so just going slow and steady. Only up to 50 mg and hopefully will go up to 60 mg Monday after a night out tonight and Sunday, I know I have a long way to go to get up to 200-300 mg whatever it takes?

I get so tired and feel kinda stoned and dizzy at this point. I have a spreadsheet I keep up on to track my titration and have a pill box I keep out with my doseage so I don't forget the amount I take. I also have had a few incidents of coughing or sneezing and peeing myself a little which never happened to me before along with urinating more frequently, anyone else?

Hi @cheeto

Congratulations on your organisation skills - Like you I regiment and record my intake and also note side effects and feelings

I definitely get a head spin, especially when smoking or exercising directly or shortly after consuming Baclofen. I also (certainly during titrating) experienced sneezing - I am also (I have written about this on several boards) convinced Baclofen is a diuretic - The need to pee is certainly more regular and when you gotta go, you gotta go! - I have also experienced several bed wetting incidents so try not to take my last does too close to bed time - I find if I take the last dose 2 or 3 hours before bed time I am not so zonked out that I fail to wake for my 1 or 2 am pee - I certainly got some reaction from the Ladies on this topic, however I am unsure if this happens to men less, or (as I expect), men are more reluctant to admit to this issue

There is not much written on the subject or urination, although this trial was terminated, results of which would have been interesting - Also, you may find this page from Amanda Stafford's site useful

i also feel your switch/indifference target will be dependent on your prior intake - I found it at 180mg a day consuming (on average) 2 bottles of wine a day, other heavier consumers needed more

I am currently taking 120mg daily and working on reducing to 90mg a day by missing my final (20.00) dosage point - I have been doing this for a week or so, currently without any adverse (withdrawal or anxiety) issues - Indeed only this morning I failed to dose since 18.00 last night until 10.00 this morning (16 hours), which is PAST a point that when consuming 180mg a day, I would have had withdrawal issues that normally start with loss of eyesight focus - I might try this a couple of times as I suspect withdrawal may not in fact be as severe on low (ish) dose Baclofen (which is 80mg or less IMO) 

Anyway, that is enough waffle, good luck and keep us posted

Regards,

 

Bacman

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey all. The switch dose is an arcane mystery, some wake-to-pass out drunks have switched forever at like 90mg while some occasional bingers needed 300+. There doesn't seem to be a way to know until you get there. As for peeing, well I find that whenever I cut out alcohol I'm going all the time and always thinking about needing to be near a restroom. Lasts a while, like at least a month. Sometimes it's not even a real need to go but a real urgent feeling nevertheless. I drink oceans of coffee, and try to back that up with enough water to not desiccate myself to a pile of dusty shriveled bones, but still. I have no basis for this, but believe it has something to do with underlying anxiety, kind of the same way that when I'm sober I have this overwhelming concern that my fly is open and constantly, compulsively checking. To the point that I finally bought button-fly jeans to be done with it. 

Anyway, not to say bac doesn't have real effects, but the psychosomatic brain-issues seem pretty real, too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Baclofenman said:

I am also (I have written about this on several boards) convinced Baclofen is a diuretic - The need to pee is certainly more regular and when you gotta go, you gotta go! - I have also experienced several bed wetting incidents so try not to take my last does too close to bed time - I find if I take the last dose 2 or 3 hours before bed time I am not so zonked out that I fail to wake for my 1 or 2 am pee - I certainly got some reaction from the Ladies on this topic, however I am unsure if this happens to men less, or (as I expect), men are more reluctant to admit to this issue

There is not much written on the subject or urination, although this trial was terminated, results of which would have been interesting - Also, you may find this page from Amanda Stafford's site useful

I have been on baclofen for almost seven years now, and noticed early on that it made me ravenously thirsty. I posted on MWO at the beginning of my journey that I was drinking two gallons of tea and water a day (about eight liters). And as a result of drinking all that liquid, I peed all.the.time.  I am taking 120 mgs/day and still feel a near-constant thirst. I would estimate that I drink 4-6 liters a day now. It's almost embarrassing having to pee so often at work.

Interesting that Amanda Stafford mentioned urinary problems as uncommon side effects of baclofen. Like you, I've always figured it to be a diuretic.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello everyone.  I haven't posted much lately.  Does anyone know how Ne is doing?

Congratulations Stuck.  So are you now teaching full-time and also looking at 2018?.

Bacman,  Sorry about your wife, that is a tough one.

Hi to Felina, Nicnac and everyone else.

Went to my husband's funeral this weekend.  My daughter was pretty upset so that part of it was no fun.  His kids from his first marriage organized everything and never acknowledged us, his 2nd family other than the music being Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door, The Stones, Joe Cocker.  There was a brunch at the yacht club that was very nice.  We were separated but 30 yrs is still a long time to be with someone.  I spoke to him a few days before he died.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@SKendall I'm so sorry about that whole ordeal. It sounds like you're all right but it must still have been rough. Hugs.

I too am wondering how Ne is doing, haven't heard from her since her last posts here. 

(edit: eh, more like I'm teaching part-time and looking at 2018. Things are still financially gonna be tight this year, so probably more uber driving and might start tutoring a high school student as well, we'll see)

Edited by StuckinLA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi SK, sorry to hear about your recent stuff - Knocking on heavens door, hey - Dylan & Tom Petty - Best version! - Wifes a pain in the arse for sure, but I would never be without her!

On 9/16/2017 at 10:36 PM, Felina said:

I have been on baclofen for almost seven years now, and noticed early on that it made me ravenously thirsty. I posted on MWO at the beginning of my journey that I was drinking two gallons of tea and water a day (about eight liters). And as a result of drinking all that liquid, I peed all.the.time.  I am taking 120 mgs/day and still feel a near-constant thirst. I would estimate that I drink 4-6 liters a day now. It's almost embarrassing having to pee so often at work.

Interesting that Amanda Stafford mentioned urinary problems as uncommon side effects of baclofen. Like you, I've always figured it to be a diuretic.

Fair point, yes I do drink a lot of water - Uncommon? maybe but I can be hyper manic at times, so I guess I am an odd one

On 9/16/2017 at 6:21 PM, StuckinLA said:

I have this overwhelming concern that my fly is open and constantly, compulsively checking. To the point that I finally bought button-fly jeans to be done with it. 

I used to have an OCD problem with remeberin all my crap before I went to work, Keys, Fags, Water, Watch, Wedding ring!, Phone and Wallet - Invariably I would forget something so eventually I overcame this issue with a "Fuck it" - Which is odd really - I only really get flustered at time keeping now I am sober, which I can live with - Long may it my only worry!

Regards

 

Bacman

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well naltrexone wasn't for me.Constantly felt unwell even after 3 weeks and everything tasted bad all day and everyday .Was in a constant bad mood and felt vey very depressed.Wasnt sure if was the naltrexone but after being off it for a while I'm sure it was.

So I'm returning to baclofen in desperation.Currently drinking 1.5 bottles of wine a day and just had liver function test that shows high protein and albumin so hoping bac works soon.On 75mg at the mo

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Felina locked and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...