The End of my Addiction

Baclofen and other medications

Flixy

Hi, I haven't started Baclofen yet, I'm making an appointment soon to see Dr Connor. I know I can ask him this question but just curious if anyone has experience with the drugs I am taking. I am on 150mg of Venlafaxine for anxiety/depression, 40mg of Propranonol for an essential tremor and 300mg/25mg Irbesartan for high blood pressure. Given that Baclofen can reduce anxiety and is a muscle relaxant, I was wondering if it would interact badly with my meds, or would it help me come off the former 2 drugs?

I cannot see it being a problem, certainly Baclofen reduces blood pressure so may well compliment Irbesartan so I would make sure you kept an eye on the pressure

Venlafaxine (Effexor) is an SSNI and as such does not lead you down the path that SSRI's do with alcohol. Your GP may want to consider something like Mirtazapine, which I have read good reports (anecdotal) of in conjunction with Baclofen?

Baclofen will not give "you" the same relief that it gives MS suffers in the relaxant stakes. For sure MS sufferers are continually amazed by the quantities of Baclofen, alcoholics get through. Likewise, MS sufferers do not benefit from the anxiety suppression rewards that alcoholics do - (I guess) - MS sufferers generally take between 40 and 80mg per day in tablet form

But then again, I am not a doctor ;)

Regards

Bacman

My wife took mirtazapine with baclofen for a long time and it worked well.  She also took Venlafaxine.  I don't think there's any problem mixing with baclofen.  It's more a question of whether it does any good for alcoholism.  My wife was on Effexor for quite a long time prior to taking baclofen.  Typically she was diagnosed with depression, which is an easy option for doctors as most alcoholics are not "happy" about the situation they find themselves in.  Whether it is a correct diagnosis, I think, is a serious question.  How different is "anxiety" from "depression"?