The End of my Addiction

tx git slinger

I've heard too many stories of people who have gone off of Baclofen or titrated down and have not been able to hit the "switch" again, including none other than the late Dr Ameisen. This is really discouraging. Should I even try again? I'm on My Way Out forum too so apologies to those of you who are witnessing the redundancy in my posts. 

7 hours ago, tx git slinger said:

I've heard too many stories of people who have gone off of Baclofen or titrated down and have not been able to hit the "switch" again, including none other than the late Dr Ameisen. 

I do not believe that this is true... I was in contact with Dr. Ameisen before he died and he maintained that he had not relapsed (despite  any rumors), and was on a lowish maintenance dose of between 120 and 60 mg a day. 

Aside from that, some people have reported to rediscover indifference when they go back up to a certain threshold dose, while others have not... From my estimation (through reading people's experiences over the years), I gather that individuals who continue to drink large quantities, especially daily, on high-dose Baclofen are at the greatest risk of permanently* affectting their indifference. After all, it is an issue of tolerance; tolerance to the medication and tolerance again to the alcohol - when any dose of Baclofen becomes a baseline, "the new normal,"  it seems pretty common sense that continually flooding the medicinal barrier that attenuates craving and addiction could  overcome it.

*As far as permanence goes, the issue is how long up-regulation/down-regulation of each individual's nervous system persists... most of us with alcohol and addiction problems have discovered tolerance to our drug of choice has not waned, even after long periods of abstinence. Who is to say how long that up or down regulation lasts with baclofen use - though our bodies get used to it and we become tolerant, it's use is not driven by addictive pathways ( i.e.  the mental addiction that  exacerbates physical addiction). I would I think, or hope, that this would mean that, without a psychological component, the therapeutic effects of Baclofen are more "reset-able," just as the  tachyphylaxis (decreased efficacy of a medication after long term use) that presents in the use of centain other drugs, can often be overcome with a temporary "drug holiday." There's no way for need to tell if that's a sure thing with Baclofen, and ultimately, each of our bodies are different, and will respond uniquely to the medication and our individual circumstances...  

Just my 2 cents... -tk

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply. I'm not trying to dispute what you're saying--and it's neither here nor there--but Dr Levin of whom I was a client until I came off baclofen back in 2012-2013 had told me that Dr A had "learned the hard way" (which doesn't necessarily mean that he relapsed; that's just what I gleaned from his statement) about titrating down and for me to absolutely stay at my switch dose if I wanted to maintain sobriety. For the record, I came off the drug because I started having severe panic and anxiety--the kind that make you forget your address when you go to the ER. I thought baclofen was the culprit, but it turns out it was Lyme disease and a toxic mold infestation in my living space. In your opinion, does my four year vacation from bac give me a better shot at re-attaining the switch?

Edited by tx git slinger

I was a client of Dr. Levin, as well for a short while, and spoke with him many times... I attribute my success with baclofen for staying at, or very near, my switch dose (280mg/day) for so long (about 3-4 years). After time, as I put a lot of distance between myself and the booze, I've been able to titrate to a low(ish) dose of 120mg/day. But that might not work for you - everyone's individual mileage is going to vary. And although I don't like to give advice on how to take baclofen, I would guess that 4 years off of it would put you in a very good position to have it start working again... -tk

• Like 1

I wish Dr Fred Levin was still available. I can't find a doc anywhere who will write a script for this stuff. If I do I can take it during my 2 day stint behind bars for my DUI and get on with my sobriety now. As somebody who self-prescribes via All Day Chemist, I won't have access to bac in jail and am concerned about having withdrawals during those 48 hours. In a real dilemma as to what to do. I really want to get on with my sobriety but may have to wait until this ordeal is over (probably in a couple months). Any idea of docs anywhere who will prescribe? Even if just once for that short period of time.  Thanks. 

Edited by tx git slinger